Former Enugu Rangers coach Lawrence Akpokon spoke about the upcoming CAF Champions League clash...
- Former Enugu Rangers coach: Zamalek are not invincible
- Le Havre’s Taher Mohamed to play just 2 matches at U-20 AFCON
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
Former Wigan hitman Amr Zaki set for European return
Zamalek striker Amr Zaki is set to mark his return to European football with a move to the Turkish Süper Lig.
Zamalek’s board of directors have reportedly accepted an offer of €250,000 from Elazığspor, with Zaki also giving up on his unpaid wages totaling EGP750,000 from the Cairo club.
Zaki is expected to sign for the Turkish side on a three-year deal, according to manager Bülent Uygun.
Zamalek edited the story on their website after initially announcing that officials were set to arrive from Gaziantepspor.
Caretaker manager Ismail Youssef excluded Zaki from the trip to DR Congo to face TP Mazembe in the CAF Champions League on Saturday, and told the clubs official website, “He has not been training regularly, he is not ready and his concentration is mainly on the idea of leaving for Gazientepspor.”
Zamalek board member Abdullah George later revealed that Gaziantepspor were only willing to spend €200,000 for Zaki’s services, while the Whites demanded and extra €50,000.
Amr Zaki was offered a one week trial by Championship side Blackpool FC earlier this summer.
The Egyptian international enjoyed a successful loan spell at Wigan in the 2008-09 season and was the top goalscorer in the English Premier League for numerous weeks; but failed to add to his tally of 10 league goals at the club after falling out with manager Steve Bruce. Zaki also has 29 intentional goals to his name but has yet to feature under Egypt coach Bob Bradley.
Follow Adam Moustafa on twitter.