KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
FC Basel progress as Mohamed Salah makes Champions League debut
Mohamed Salah’s FC Basel progressed to the final stage of the Champions League group qualifying rounds after beating Norway’s Molde FK 2-1 on aggregate in the game that took place today in St. Jakob-Park.
Molde’s Berget opened the scoring for the visitors in the 32nd minute before Basel’s Degen brought things level in the 75th minute. The game witnessed late drama when Molde FK were awarded a late penalty kick in the 91st minute, which was saved by Sommer to keep the score at 1-1 and advance FC Basel 2-1 on aggregate.
Bar the late drama, the game witnessed a historic moment for Egypt’s young gun Mohamed Salah, as he made his first official competitive debut for the home side. Salah, who’d just participated in the London 2012 Olympics,came off the bench in the 74th minute as the fans cheered on and almost instantly made an indirect impact when Degen scored to level the game.
FC Basel’s home crowd were given a taste of things to come from Mohamed Salah when he almost scored after going one on one with the keeper. He also scraped a shot wide from the left and showed glimpses of his pace and skill. Lots is expected from Salah who signed a 4-year contract for FC Basel in June, and King Fut wishes him all the best in his future endeavors.
Check out King Fut’s player profile on Mohamed Salah for more insight on this talented young gun.