Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Mohamed Salah substituted as Basel scrape a point
Basel’s trip to the Swiss capital to face Young Boys was supposed to be the moment their season got going, after a faltering start, but it didn’t quite happen that way. Basel’s summer signing Mohamed Salah was playing his fourth league game since joining from Egyptian side Arab Contractors.
Young Boys started much the better side and were it not for the heroics of Yann Sommer in the Basel goal they could have been well ahead by half time but somehow the scores were still level as they went in. Salah managed a few good plays, linking up well with strikers Alex Frei and Marco Streller on occasion, but in all the visitors failed to get going and at times looked sluggish.
After an hour, and with Young Boys having taken the lead just over 10 minutes previously, Salah was brought off for Valentin Stocker, much to the chagrin of the away supporters but it coincided with YB taking their foot off the gas, thus allowing Stocker more possession than Salah had seen. The visitors got their equaliser and the game ended 1-1. Young Boys were left scratching their heads as to how they didn’t win. The draw leaves Basel 7 points behind leaders St Gallen after just 7 games.
Watch highlights of the match below:
Follow Alex Knott (@knottalex) on twitter.