Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
UAE round-up: Shikabala assists as the Emperor fail to seal victory
In another exciting week of UAE Pro League action, Shikabala’s Al Wasl faced Al Nasr in one of the biggest clashes of the second round.
Unfortunately for Al Wasl, they failed to get the victory this time and gained just a point after a thrilling 2-2 draw – despite taking the lead twice in this encounter. Egyptian international Shikabala blew hot and cold. He was almost anonymous during the first period, registering just 2 shots on target, and misplacing a couple of passes as well – very un-Shikabala like.
However, the talismanic winger improved in the 2nd half, providing the assist to Al Wasl’s second after showing a neat, trademark Shika piece of skill and fed the ball to his partner-in-crime- Uruguayan Emiliano Alfaro- who gladly accepted the gift and finished it into an empty net, his 5th goal this season in just 2 games.
Shikabala also tried his best to grab the winner for his side through his well-renowned left foot, but none of his shots threatened the keeper – it just wasn’t his day.
Watch all of Shika’s touches below:
Despite this blow, Baniyas were able to overcome and earned a valuable win and the three points with a 2-0 win against Ittihad.
Australian international Nick Carne was the star man, providing both assists for Benlamaalem and their main man after Zidan (cool, it rhymes), Sengahor, who displayed his physical prowess to fend off two Ittihad defenders and finished emphatically to open his account for the season.
Omar Almasri is the owner of the world football website O-Posts and is an expert on Middle Eastern football. Omar will be covering the fortunes of the UAE Pro League on KingFut.com and you can follow him on Twitter @OAlmasri.