Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
FIFA Futsal World Cup 2012: Egypt through despite disappointing defeat
The Pharaohs were lucky to advance to the next round as they piped Kuwait to third place in the group only on goal difference to qualify as one of the best third-placed teams. Credit to Kuwait who came into the match with an outside chance of qualifying.
On a day were the Pharaohs were expected to cruise to victory, Egypt surprised all with a sub-par performance against Kuwait who before that match had zero points in the bag. An over-confident Egypt fell 0-3 in the opening 6 minutes but pulled one back only to find themselves 1-4 down at half-time. A brace from Ahmed Mohamed in the final minutes gave Egypt a glimpse of hope but it was a little bit too late for an Egyptian comeback.
This result means that Egypt is drawn against European heavy weights Italy who are yet to drop a point in the tournament. The Azzuri will be clear favorites to win the tie on Monday and advance to the quarter finals where Portugal will be awaiting after beating Paraguay 4-1 earlier today.
Worth noting that the last meeting between the two sides saw Italy narrowly beating Egypt 2-1 at home in Italy in a friendly match.
Good luck to the Pharaohs.
Follow King Fut on Twitter.