Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
FIFA Futsal World Cup 2012: Egypt through despite disappointing defeat
The Pharaohs were lucky to advance to the next round as they piped Kuwait to third place in the group only on goal difference to qualify as one of the best third-placed teams. Credit to Kuwait who came into the match with an outside chance of qualifying.
On a day were the Pharaohs were expected to cruise to victory, Egypt surprised all with a sub-par performance against Kuwait who before that match had zero points in the bag. An over-confident Egypt fell 0-3 in the opening 6 minutes but pulled one back only to find themselves 1-4 down at half-time. A brace from Ahmed Mohamed in the final minutes gave Egypt a glimpse of hope but it was a little bit too late for an Egyptian comeback.
This result means that Egypt is drawn against European heavy weights Italy who are yet to drop a point in the tournament. The Azzuri will be clear favorites to win the tie on Monday and advance to the quarter finals where Portugal will be awaiting after beating Paraguay 4-1 earlier today.
Worth noting that the last meeting between the two sides saw Italy narrowly beating Egypt 2-1 at home in Italy in a friendly match.
Good luck to the Pharaohs.
Follow King Fut on Twitter.