Entag El-Harby put an end to Al Ahly’s seven-match winning streak after...
- VIDEO: Al Ahly’s winning streak ends with draw against Entag
- Elneny left out of Arsenal’s squad as Gunners lose to Tottenham
- VIDEO: Warda scores in PAOK’s 5-1 win against Kerkyra
- Salah features as Roma lose Derby della Capitale
- EFA fines Inacio and Mido
- Inacio: I am eager to win titles with Zamalek
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
Lierse’s Hany Ramzy becomes 1st Egyptian coach in Europe
Belgian side Lierse have appointed Pharaohs icon Hany Ramzy as their new head coach following the sacking of Chris Janssens on Monday.
“This year Lierse has been confronted with hard reality. The team currently stands in 14th place in the league with just 13 points from 15 matches. This situation demanded intervention,” a statement read on the club’s website after parting company with Janssens.
Ramzy has already been working with Lierse as their technical advisor for almost a month, but after witnessing Lierse lose 2 of their last 3 games and conceding 9 goals in the process, the legendary Egypt and Al Ahly centre-back was promoted to take charge.
The 43-year-old coach will have his hands full as Lierse are just two points above the relegation zone after losing 5 of their last 6 games.
“I noticed that we have a good fan base. We have supporters that really love the club and this is one thing you have to build on,” Ramzy told Lierse TV.
“But in the field we have some problems. We have some missing quality players in some positions.
“I will speak with the chairman as it is very important to transfer in some good players with quality.”
Ramzy already has fellow countrymen Ahmed ‘Okka’ Said, Ahmed Abou Mosalem, Ahmed Samir Farag, Mohamed ‘Dodo’ Elgabas and Hussein Yasser in his squad, although the latter is a Qatar international and Farag is out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.
Ramzy debuts against Gent on Saturday, in an attempt to lift Lierse from the bottom three.
Watch Hany Ramzy’s first interview with the club below: