Argentina and Barcelona legend Lionel Messi is set to visit Egypt on...
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
- AS Roma star Mohamed Salah: I’m happy to be back
- Talaat Youssef leads Al-Ahli Tripoli to CAF Champions League round of 32
- Egypt opponents Mali announce U-20 AFCON squad
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
Lierse’s Hany Ramzy becomes 1st Egyptian coach in Europe
Belgian side Lierse have appointed Pharaohs icon Hany Ramzy as their new head coach following the sacking of Chris Janssens on Monday.
“This year Lierse has been confronted with hard reality. The team currently stands in 14th place in the league with just 13 points from 15 matches. This situation demanded intervention,” a statement read on the club’s website after parting company with Janssens.
Ramzy has already been working with Lierse as their technical advisor for almost a month, but after witnessing Lierse lose 2 of their last 3 games and conceding 9 goals in the process, the legendary Egypt and Al Ahly centre-back was promoted to take charge.
The 43-year-old coach will have his hands full as Lierse are just two points above the relegation zone after losing 5 of their last 6 games.
“I noticed that we have a good fan base. We have supporters that really love the club and this is one thing you have to build on,” Ramzy told Lierse TV.
“But in the field we have some problems. We have some missing quality players in some positions.
“I will speak with the chairman as it is very important to transfer in some good players with quality.”
Ramzy already has fellow countrymen Ahmed ‘Okka’ Said, Ahmed Abou Mosalem, Ahmed Samir Farag, Mohamed ‘Dodo’ Elgabas and Hussein Yasser in his squad, although the latter is a Qatar international and Farag is out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.
Ramzy debuts against Gent on Saturday, in an attempt to lift Lierse from the bottom three.
Watch Hany Ramzy’s first interview with the club below: