Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
VIDEO: Mohamed Ibrahim inspires Zamalek to opening victory
Zamalek’s White Knight’s kicked off their Egyptian Premier League campaign with a comfortable 2-0 victory over rivals Ittihad Alexandria to earn the first three points of the group.
The Egyptian Premier League finally returned yesterday after more of a year in hiatus, and after Al-Ahly’s victory against Mahalla earlier in the day, it was Zamalek’s time to shine.
Referee Mohamed Hanafi blew his whistle to get the game underway, as the White Knights put Ittihad’s men under pressure. Zamalek’s towering striker Ahmed Gaafar had the best chance of the first half after a superb pass from Nour El-Sayed but his shot was denied by a superb save from Ittihad Alexandria’s keeper Al-Hani Suleiman.
The second half continued on from where the first half left with Al-Zamalek having the upper hand while the Ittihad men parked the bus. The White Knights of Zamalek finally broke the deadlock in the 73rd minute after a superb run concluded by a superb back-heel pass from whiz kid Mohamed Ibrahim onto the path of Omar Gaber who finished the play by coolly slotting the ball past the rather impressive Suleiman, scoring his first goal for the club. Al-Zamalek put the icing on the cake and killed Ittihad’s hopes of making a comeback after Mohamed Ibrahim made a magnificent through pass to Ahmed Gaafar, who had no problems tucking the ball into the empty net.
Zamalek’s fitness levels were key to winning the game, whereas Ittihad players clearly lacked match fitness.
Upcoming fixtures :
Zamalek are set to face Ittihad El-Shorta next Saturday while Ittihad will face in a mouth-watering clash with Al-Ismaily SC.
Tika-taka by the White Knights: