Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
VIDEO: Mohamed Ibrahim inspires Zamalek to opening victory
Zamalek’s White Knight’s kicked off their Egyptian Premier League campaign with a comfortable 2-0 victory over rivals Ittihad Alexandria to earn the first three points of the group.
The Egyptian Premier League finally returned yesterday after more of a year in hiatus, and after Al-Ahly’s victory against Mahalla earlier in the day, it was Zamalek’s time to shine.
Referee Mohamed Hanafi blew his whistle to get the game underway, as the White Knights put Ittihad’s men under pressure. Zamalek’s towering striker Ahmed Gaafar had the best chance of the first half after a superb pass from Nour El-Sayed but his shot was denied by a superb save from Ittihad Alexandria’s keeper Al-Hani Suleiman.
The second half continued on from where the first half left with Al-Zamalek having the upper hand while the Ittihad men parked the bus. The White Knights of Zamalek finally broke the deadlock in the 73rd minute after a superb run concluded by a superb back-heel pass from whiz kid Mohamed Ibrahim onto the path of Omar Gaber who finished the play by coolly slotting the ball past the rather impressive Suleiman, scoring his first goal for the club. Al-Zamalek put the icing on the cake and killed Ittihad’s hopes of making a comeback after Mohamed Ibrahim made a magnificent through pass to Ahmed Gaafar, who had no problems tucking the ball into the empty net.
Zamalek’s fitness levels were key to winning the game, whereas Ittihad players clearly lacked match fitness.
Upcoming fixtures :
Zamalek are set to face Ittihad El-Shorta next Saturday while Ittihad will face in a mouth-watering clash with Al-Ismaily SC.
Tika-taka by the White Knights: