Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Egypt name 21-Man squad for U-20 African Championship
Egypt U-20 coach Rabie Yassin named a 21-man squad for this month’s U-20 Africa Cup of Nations in Algeria, including full Egypt internationals Saleh Gomaa, Rami Rabia and Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, while some highly rated ‘Pharaohs Abroad’ were left out.
The list includes only two European-based Pharaohs in ‘Denmark’s Ronaldinho’, PSV’s Egyptian-Danish attacking midfielder Amir Adel (also known as Alexander Jakobsen), who KingFut.com revealed was being chased by the Egyptian Football Association, and Rio Ave’s Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, who recently got his first senior call-up.
France-born Abdallah Yaisien, who told King Fut he dreams of representing Egypt, didn’t make the squad due to logistics, as the former France U-17 star’s application for a nationality switch wasn’t completed in time.
ENPPI midfielder Saleh Gomaa also played with the U-23 Egyptian team in last year’s Olympics Games and has since been a regular senior Egypt international.
Al-Ahly duo Rami Rabia and Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ unsurprisingly got the call, who are already part of the Red Devils’ senior squad.
Promising Egyptian U-20 trio Amr Warda, Ahmed Mokhtar and Mahmoud Waheed have all been ruled out with injuries.
Egypt will play in Group A alongside hosts Algeria, Ghana and Benin in the African Championship that will run from 16-30 March.
The semi-finalists will qualify for the 2013 U-20 World Cup this summer in Turkey.
Egypt U-20s play their last friendly tomorrow against ENPPI before travelling to Algeria. The Young Pharaohs’ two previous friendlies saw them lose 3-1 and draw 0-0 to Nigeria.
Goalkeepers: Mossad Awad (Ismaily), Mahmoud Hamdy (Zamalek), Hassan Mahmoud Arab Contractors).
Defenders: Sherif Adel ‘Dabo’, Ossama Ibrahim (ENPPI), Mahmoud Hamad (Ismaily), Ibrahim Hassan (Ahly), Yasser Ibrahim (Mansoura), Ibrahim El-Hadad (Wadi Degla).
Midfielders: Hossam Ghaly, Rami Rabia, Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ (Ahly), Saleh Gomaa, Ahmed Refaat, Mahmoud Abdel-Moneam (ENPPI), Mahmoud Metwaly, Mohamed Sherif (Ismaily), Amir Adel ‘Alexander Jakobsen’ (PSV).
Strikers: Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ (Rio Ave), Omar Bassam (Ahly), Ahmed Samir (Dakhleya).