Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Saleh Gomaa: Klopp wants me to be a new Zidan
Saleh Gomaa claims Jürgen Klopp wants him to be a new Mohamed Zidan, after the young Egypt international completed his trial with Borussia Dortmund last week.
19-year-old Saleh Gomaa, who won the MVP at the 2013 African U-20 Championship in Algeria, has been on two consecutive one-week trials in Europe this month with Anderlecht and Dortmund, ahead of a potential summer transfer from Egyptian side ENPPI.
Gomaa told FilGoal about his time in Germany, with Dortmund manager Jürgen Klopp wanting the young central midfielder to be a ‘New Zidan’, referring to the Egypt international who spent four years at the Westfalenstadion.
“Now I’m done with trials and I will return to Egypt to join the U-20 national team,” Gomaa said.
“The Anderlecht trial went well but now my agent is speaking with the club. I know little about the talks so far.
“Dortmund manager Jürgen Klopp will have the final say on whether I will be with them or not…this will be determined by Friday.
“I was impressed by Dortmund really. Coach Klopp told me he wants me to be a new Zidan!
“I saw the team training with determination, passion and commitment in order to win the Champions League. That’s why I will be supporting Dortmund in the final.”
The Egyptian starlet, who is expected to be the heart of the Young Pharaohs’ midfield at this summer’s U-20 World Cup in Turkey, said after his trial with Anderlecht: “if both clubs made offers for me, I will choose Dortmund of course.”
ENPPI value the young Egypt international at €2 million, but chairman Mohamed Badr admitted he would not stand in the way of a move abroad for Gomaa, who made his debut for the Petroleum club in 2010, aged just 17.
The Bundesliga side are also reportedly targeting Ajax’s in-demand midfielder Christian Eriksen as a potential replacement for Bayern Munich-bound Mario Götze.
Gomaa also previously claimed to have a trial offer from Manchester United, while Torino, Sevilla and Benfica are also said to be keen on signing the gem of the Petroleum club, after catching the attention of their scouts at the African youth tournament in Algeria.
Dortmund, who recently lost the Bundesliga title to Bayern Munich, will clash again with the German giants in the UEFA Champions League final on May 25.