KingFut covers the live action as Egypt take on Uganda in the...
- LIVE: Egypt vs Uganda – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
- Al Nasr Lel Ta’deen appoint Gert Heerkes as new manager
- Egypt to warm up in changing rooms ahead of Uganda clash
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
- Salah speaks about youth, idols
- Mohamed Salah: “Our group is tough, but we are Egypt”
- Official: Egypt’s Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ joins Nacional on loan from Lierse
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
Egypt’s Rabia focused on U20 World Cup despite Chelsea, Manchester United links
The 19-year-old Egypt international centre-back is being targeted by Premier League champions Manchester United and European champions Chelsea, according to Sky Sports, but the player took to Twitter to announce his main objective is to recover from injury in time for this summer’s U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
“I’m talking with some people over some offers, but everything will be opened after the World Cup. Just pray for me to be able to play in the World Cup,” Rabia tweeted in Arabic.
Borussia Dortmund, Schalke and Lille are also interested in Rabia, but the latter are the only club who’ve made a formal offer thus far.
French side Lille requested to have him on trial, but unfortunately Rami had suffered a knee injury during Ahly’s league win over Smouha and had to undergo surgery earlier this month.
SEM spokesman Mamdouh Eid confirmed to KingFut.com: “There is interest from many clubs, but at the moment we are looking forward to the [Under-20] World Cup and we’ll see from there.”
On the previous offer from Lille, Mamdouh added: “Lille wanted him on trial… they can watch him at the [U-20] World Cup.”
Rabia, who made his Al-Ahly debut at just 17, has recently thrived as a defensive midfielder since captain Hossam Ghaly picked up an ACL injury during the Club World Cup in Japan.
The versatile defender has scored four goals for both club and country in all competitions so far this season, including goals for Al-Ahly in the CAF Super Cup and Egyptian Premier League, the senior national team’s lone goal in their 3-1 friendly loss to Qatar, where he played at right-back, and the winner against African Youth Championship hosts Algeria to book the Young Pharaohs’ progression to this summer’s U-20 World Cup.
The Ahly starlet, who turns 20 next week, already has five full caps for Egypt and also captained the U-20 side that went on to win the African Championship for the first time since 2003.