Mohamed Elneny took park in the “Impossible Behind The Goal Shot” challenge...
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
FC Basel hopes of domestic double ends in Cup final defeat
Mohamed El-Nenny was the only Egyptian to feature in the Swiss Cup final, starting in his usual central midfield position. The other Egypt international Mohamed Salah was suspended after he picked up a second yellow card in the semi-final against FC Sion.
FC Basel took the lead in the 71st minute when Markus Steinhofer found the net, but it took only four minutes for Grasshoppers to equalise when Izet Harjovic scored.
After full time, the game ended 1-1 and proceeded to extra time. El-Nenny was booked in the 91st minute, and after 120 minutes nothing could separate the two teams so the game went to penalties.
Grasshoppers eventually won the penalty shoot-out 4-3, while El-Nenny did not participate. The result was a massive blow for FC Basel who were aiming for a domestic double.
FC Basel are still league leaders with three games to play and remain six points clear of second place Grasshoppers, who they play again next Sunday.
Ahmad Yousef: Follow @EgyptianPlayers