KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
FC Basel hopes of domestic double ends in Cup final defeat
Mohamed El-Nenny was the only Egyptian to feature in the Swiss Cup final, starting in his usual central midfield position. The other Egypt international Mohamed Salah was suspended after he picked up a second yellow card in the semi-final against FC Sion.
FC Basel took the lead in the 71st minute when Markus Steinhofer found the net, but it took only four minutes for Grasshoppers to equalise when Izet Harjovic scored.
After full time, the game ended 1-1 and proceeded to extra time. El-Nenny was booked in the 91st minute, and after 120 minutes nothing could separate the two teams so the game went to penalties.
Grasshoppers eventually won the penalty shoot-out 4-3, while El-Nenny did not participate. The result was a massive blow for FC Basel who were aiming for a domestic double.
FC Basel are still league leaders with three games to play and remain six points clear of second place Grasshoppers, who they play again next Sunday.
Ahmad Yousef: Follow @EgyptianPlayers