Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
Pharaohs Abroad: Koka scores brace, Hegazy starts in Fiorentina rout
Ahmed ‘Koka’ Hassan and Ahmed Hegazy started for Rio Ave and Fiorentina respectively in massive friendly wins on Saturday, with the former scoring a brace, as the Egyptian duo prepare for their second season in Europe.
20-year-old Ahmed Hassan, who scored 10 goals in his debut season in Portugal last season and two goals in three matches at the U-20 World Cup in Turkey last month, netted a brace in the first-half against Selecção Concelhia, as Rio Ave cruised to a 7-1 friendly win on Saturday.
Koka will hope to continue his impressive goalscoring form as Rio Ave clash with English Premier League side Newcastle next Sunday, and are also scheduled to face Deportivo de La Coruña and Académica on August 3 and August 10 respectively, before opening their Liga ZON Sagres campaign against Belenenses on August 18.
In Italy, Ahmed Hegazy was given a rare start for the Viola, slotting in just behind Fiorentina debutant and AC Milan legend Massimo Ambrosini – who opened the scoring in their 8-0 friendly win over amateur side Montecatini on Saturday.
The 22-year-old centre-back, who returned to the Fiorentina squad in May after rupturing his cruciate knee ligament last December, was replaced at half-time as Vincenzo Montella fielded a completely different eleven for the second-half.
Fiorentina have recently announced they will go on tour around Europe in August to play two pre-season friendlies with Giuseppe Rossi’s former club Villarreal in Spain on August 8 before visiting Lisbon to face Sporting on August 11.