Ghana captain and all-time top scorer Asamoah Gyan mentioned that he and...
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
VIDEO: El-Nenny injured as Basel held by Grasshoppers
El-Nenny suffered a serious shoulder injury as FC Basel drew 1-1 with Grasshopper Club in the 34 degree heat of Letzigrund stadium on Sunday.
In a game which was wide open from the kick-off, FC Basel took the lead in the 19th minute when Fabian Schär headed home from a corner.
Things took a turn for the worse in the 35th minute when Mohamed El-Nenny suffered an injury after clashing shoulders with Nassim Ben Khalifa while defending against the Swiss forward of Tunisian decent before heading straight down the tunnel.
Taulant Xhaka subsequently replaced him and the word in Switzerland is that Egypt international El-Nenny dislocated his shoulder.
Basel continued to attack, as did Grasshoppers, but both sides failed to make use of their chances in the remaining of a very open first-half.
It only got worse for FC Basel as Grasshoppers came firing out of the blocks in the second-half and managed to find the net two minutes after the restart as Izet Hajrovic equalised for the Zurich-based club.
Mohamed Salah had a very quiet game and came off in the 62nd minute as Stephan Andrist came on in his place. Salah, like El-Nenny, was most likely fasting which is why he was replaced in a game where neither Egyptian made much of an impact.
The rest of the match was open but chances were few and far between. Grasshoppers were awarded a penalty which was rescinded almost immediately by the linesman.
The result leaves Basel in joint 3rd placed with Grasshoppers Zurich after two games. They play Lausanne Sport next Saturday.
Follow @EgyptianPlayers – Ahmad Yousef