An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
VIDEO: El-Nenny injured as Basel held by Grasshoppers
El-Nenny suffered a serious shoulder injury as FC Basel drew 1-1 with Grasshopper Club in the 34 degree heat of Letzigrund stadium on Sunday.
In a game which was wide open from the kick-off, FC Basel took the lead in the 19th minute when Fabian Schär headed home from a corner.
Things took a turn for the worse in the 35th minute when Mohamed El-Nenny suffered an injury after clashing shoulders with Nassim Ben Khalifa while defending against the Swiss forward of Tunisian decent before heading straight down the tunnel.
Taulant Xhaka subsequently replaced him and the word in Switzerland is that Egypt international El-Nenny dislocated his shoulder.
Basel continued to attack, as did Grasshoppers, but both sides failed to make use of their chances in the remaining of a very open first-half.
It only got worse for FC Basel as Grasshoppers came firing out of the blocks in the second-half and managed to find the net two minutes after the restart as Izet Hajrovic equalised for the Zurich-based club.
Mohamed Salah had a very quiet game and came off in the 62nd minute as Stephan Andrist came on in his place. Salah, like El-Nenny, was most likely fasting which is why he was replaced in a game where neither Egyptian made much of an impact.
The rest of the match was open but chances were few and far between. Grasshoppers were awarded a penalty which was rescinded almost immediately by the linesman.
The result leaves Basel in joint 3rd placed with Grasshoppers Zurich after two games. They play Lausanne Sport next Saturday.
Follow @EgyptianPlayers – Ahmad Yousef