The fixtures for the U-20 Africa Cup of Nations, which is set...
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
- Hector Cuper: Our group is now more complicated
- OFFICIAL: Injured Egypt keeper El-Shennawy to miss rest of AFCON
- Court adds Abou-Treika to terrorist watch-list
- Mali coach: We were under pressure against Egypt
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
Al-Masry return as new Egyptian Premier League season set to feature 22 teams
The 2013/2014 Egyptian Premier League season will feature 22 teams, including Al-Masry, for the first time in the competition’s history.
The board of directors of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) decided today in their meeting that the next season of the Egyptian Premier League will include the participation of 22 teams for the first time in the competition’s history, split into two groups of 11.
The previous league season was also divided into two groups, however, with only nine teams in each group. Due to lack of organization from the EFA, in addition to the political turmoil in the country, the 2012/2013 season was cancelled before the final round which would’ve determined the league champions.
The 22 clubs includes the return of Al-Masry, who served their ban after being excluded from 2012/2013 season following to the massacre of Port Said the year before, and an additional three teams who were able to climb from the second division last season: Menya, Raja and Qanah FC.
Relegation from the 2012/2013 Egyptian Premier League season was abolished following the cancellation of the last round of fixtures.
The start date of the season is still unknown as the EFA board of directors still did not decide when the draw of the teams will take place, however what is known is that Al-Ahly and Zamalek will once again be in different groups.
How will next season’s Egyptian Premier League be able to cope with 22 teams? Will the EFA and the security finally manage to start and end the 2013/2014 season as excepted?
Leave us your thoughts below…