Record eight-time champions Al Ahly will face South African outfit Bidvest Wits...
- Al Ahly to face South Africa’s Bidvest Wits in CAF Champions League
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores in Ittihad 2-0 win over Shabab
- Sundowns beat Mazembe to claim first CAF Super Cup title
- Dzeko speaks about partnership with Mohamed Salah
- Coulibaly excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Contractors clash
- Elmo ready for Hull’s training camp in Portugal
- Tunisia to play two warm-up games for Egypt encounter
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Abdel-Shafy excluded, Morsy plays full 90
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek reach Egypt Cup round of 16
- Veteran Egyptian coach Hassan Shehata confirms South Africa talks
Kahraba set for FC Luzern debut against Salah & El-Nenny’s Basel
Mahmoud Kahraba is finally eligible to feature for FC Luzern in Switzerland after the club completed his registration on Monday, and is expected to make his debut against Salah and El-Nenny’s Basel on Saturday.
“I’m overjoyed,” said 19-year-old Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim, who carries the strange nickname of ‘Kahraba’ given that it means ‘electricity’ in Arabic, told FC Luzern’s official website after the club received his paperwork from the Egyptian Football Association on Monday.
Kahraba joined FC Luzern on a season-long loan from ENPPI this month with an option to make the deal permanent until 2017, but the EFA delayed to send his documents to the Swiss side due to the current turmoil in Egypt, which kept him out of the side that demolished FC Murten 11-0 in the Swiss Cup on Sunday.
However, the Egypt U-20 star is expected to feature next Saturday against compatriots Mohamed Salah and El-Nenny’s Basel, according to FC Luzerns’s official website.
Luzern Sports Director Alexander Frei, who used to play with Mohamed Salah at Basel, was also pleased with the news: “He [Kahraba] is a versatile and unpredictable attacking player who fits perfectly into our requirements,” Frei told the club’s official website.
When Frei was asked if Kahraba could make a similar impact to that of Salah, Switzerland’s all-time leading goalscorer told Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen: “Kahraba can be a big offensive asset to our team.”
“He is a player who can play at both flanks and also as a second forward behind the striker.”
Hull City were also interested in signing the Kahraba before he completed the Luzern switch and the Tigers offered him a one-week trial,with Steve Bruce calling the Egypt U-20 star ‘one for the future’.
The Egypt U-20 international scored three goals and won two penalties at the African Youth Championship in March to guide the Young Pharaohs to winning the tournament in Algeria. He also scored Egypt’s only goal against Chile at the U-20 World Cup this summer.
FC Luzern are currently second in the Swiss Super League with 10 points, while Salah & El-Nenny’s Basel lie fourth with eight.