Egypt’s Aly Ghazal has finalised terms with Chinese Super League club Guizhou...
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
Salah & El-Nenny’s Basel set for Chelsea rematch in Champions League
FC Basel are set for a Chelsea rematch after being drawn together in Group E of the 2013/14 Champions League.
Swiss champions FC Basel were eliminated by Chelsea in the Europa League semi-final last season after David Luiz’s late free-kick earned the Blues a win in Switzerland before the Europa League winners won 3-1 at home, despite Mohamed Salah opening the scoring at Stamford Bridge.
Salah and compatriot Mohamed El-Nenny started in both legs last season, and the young Egyptian duo played particularly well during the second leg in London, with Salah providing the attacking spark for Basel while El-Nenny put in a tidy performance in midfield – and also having a couple of chances of his own from distance.
Basel entered the Europa League after exiting the Champions League at the play-off stage last term, having qualified for the knockout rounds after seeing off Manchester United a year earlier.
German side Schalke finished fourth in the Bundesliga last season and came past Greek side PAOK in the play-offs to reach the group stages.
The first round of games will take place on either Tuesday or Wednesday of the week commencing September 16.