AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Salah & El-Nenny’s Basel set for Chelsea rematch in Champions League
FC Basel are set for a Chelsea rematch after being drawn together in Group E of the 2013/14 Champions League.
Swiss champions FC Basel were eliminated by Chelsea in the Europa League semi-final last season after David Luiz’s late free-kick earned the Blues a win in Switzerland before the Europa League winners won 3-1 at home, despite Mohamed Salah opening the scoring at Stamford Bridge.
Salah and compatriot Mohamed El-Nenny started in both legs last season, and the young Egyptian duo played particularly well during the second leg in London, with Salah providing the attacking spark for Basel while El-Nenny put in a tidy performance in midfield – and also having a couple of chances of his own from distance.
Basel entered the Europa League after exiting the Champions League at the play-off stage last term, having qualified for the knockout rounds after seeing off Manchester United a year earlier.
German side Schalke finished fourth in the Bundesliga last season and came past Greek side PAOK in the play-offs to reach the group stages.
The first round of games will take place on either Tuesday or Wednesday of the week commencing September 16.