An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
Stephan El Shaarawy: I’m proud of my Egyptian roots
Italian international Stephan El Shaarawy revealed his pride for his Egyptian roots in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, although the Spanish magazine claimed he never considered representing Egypt.
In an interview with Mundo Deportivo, El Shaarawy, who is born to an Italian mother and an Egyptian father, told the Spanish magazine that he is proud of his Egyptian roots, although the magazine claims he never thought representing Egypt internationally.
“I’m Italian. I have pride in my Egyptian roots and I have family there, but Italy is my home,” El Shaarawy said.
The 20-year-old AC Milan forward, often called ‘Il Faraone’ (The Pharaoh), also voiced his opinion on the world’s best player, claiming that Brazil international Neymar is currently the best in the world.
“I’d say Neymar is the best player in the world at the moment,” El Shaarawy told Spanish reporters.
“I played against him in Geneva with Italy back in March and he was simply incredible on the ball.”
The young Italian international went on to voice his admiration for Serie A greats such as Kaka – who recently returned to Milan following a four-year spell at Real Madrid – Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti.
“I had a number of idols. It was great to see players such as Kaka and Del Piero week after week. Totti was another of my biggest idols. It’s crazy to be playing against him now.”