Lierse football club announced on their website that the team’s midfielder Amr...
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
VIDEO: Salah scores again at the Bridge as Basel upset Mourinho’s Chelsea
Mohamed Salah scores at Stamford Bridge for the second consecutive season as Basel pulled off a huge surprise with a 2-1 win against Chelsea in the first round of Group E in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.
Salah, who was rested during Basel’s Swiss Cup clash against FC Münsingen midweek, was brought straight into the Swiss champions’ starting XI while Egyptian compatriot Mohamed El-Nenny was ruled out of the clash at Chelsea after suffering a shoulder injury with the national team.
The Egyptian starlet started the game brightly on the right wing utilizing his pace to best Ashley Cole and get into dangerous positions on a few occasions, but towards the end of the half Salah switched to the left and was kept quiet by Serbian Branislav Ivanović.
Chelsea opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time when Lampard played in Oscar and the Brazilian’s strike was too powerful to handle for Sommer.
Mohamed Salah switched back to the right wing a few minutes into the second-half and the Egyptian winger really began to wreak havoc at Stamford Bridge.
Salah equalised for Basel on the 71st minute with a superb left-footed curler following a brilliant team play.
Marco Streller scored off a corner minutes later and Chelsea had no response with the likes of Eto’o and Hazard failing to make use of their chances.
Gary Neville called Salah “the best winger on the pitch,” after the Egyptian inspired Basel to seal a huge upset and hand Mourinho his first loss at Stamford Bridge this season.
Salah also opened the scoring at Stamford Bridge during the Europa League semi-final last season but Basel lost 3-1 as Chelsea advanced to the final.
Basel’s Group E opponents FC Schalke won 3-0 at home against Steaua Bucureşti with Ghana international Kevin-Prince Boateng among the scorers.