Former Enugu Rangers coach Lawrence Akpokon spoke about the upcoming CAF Champions League clash...
- Former Enugu Rangers coach: Zamalek are not invincible
- Le Havre’s Taher Mohamed to play just 2 matches at U-20 AFCON
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
VIDEO: Salah scores again at the Bridge as Basel upset Mourinho’s Chelsea
Mohamed Salah scores at Stamford Bridge for the second consecutive season as Basel pulled off a huge surprise with a 2-1 win against Chelsea in the first round of Group E in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.
Salah, who was rested during Basel’s Swiss Cup clash against FC Münsingen midweek, was brought straight into the Swiss champions’ starting XI while Egyptian compatriot Mohamed El-Nenny was ruled out of the clash at Chelsea after suffering a shoulder injury with the national team.
The Egyptian starlet started the game brightly on the right wing utilizing his pace to best Ashley Cole and get into dangerous positions on a few occasions, but towards the end of the half Salah switched to the left and was kept quiet by Serbian Branislav Ivanović.
Chelsea opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time when Lampard played in Oscar and the Brazilian’s strike was too powerful to handle for Sommer.
Mohamed Salah switched back to the right wing a few minutes into the second-half and the Egyptian winger really began to wreak havoc at Stamford Bridge.
Salah equalised for Basel on the 71st minute with a superb left-footed curler following a brilliant team play.
Marco Streller scored off a corner minutes later and Chelsea had no response with the likes of Eto’o and Hazard failing to make use of their chances.
Gary Neville called Salah “the best winger on the pitch,” after the Egyptian inspired Basel to seal a huge upset and hand Mourinho his first loss at Stamford Bridge this season.
Salah also opened the scoring at Stamford Bridge during the Europa League semi-final last season but Basel lost 3-1 as Chelsea advanced to the final.
Basel’s Group E opponents FC Schalke won 3-0 at home against Steaua Bucureşti with Ghana international Kevin-Prince Boateng among the scorers.