After losing the Champions League final on aggregate to Mameloudi Sundowns, Zamalek’s...
- Momen Soliman: the best team won and Fathi could leave in January
- Pitso Mosimane targets Zamalek duo ahead of FIFA Club World Cup
- Mortada Mansour: ‘Magic and sorcery’ cost us
- Salah scores and assists in 4-1 win over Palermo
- VIDEO: Zamalek defeat Sundowns in Egypt but lose Champions League final
- Arab Champions League to return next summer in Egypt
- Warda features as Panetolikos lose to Levadiakos
- Egypt seeded third for Africa U-20 Cup of Nations draw
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
- Mosimane: We won’t be relaxed in the final
VIDEO: Salah plays 90 minutes as Basel stunned at home by Draxler wonder goal
Shock for FC Basel as they’re beaten at home in their second match in the group stages after winning their first game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
After beating their opposition’s U-19 team earlier, Schalke managed to get the win at the St. Jakob Park.
Arguably the biggest highlight of the game was when it was halted due to Greenpeace activists abseil from the stadium roof midway through the first half.
The only goal of the game came at the 54th minute through a wonderful effort by German prodigy Julien Draxler.
Although Basel controlled possession over the game (56%), they still failed to be effective on goal.
Mohamed Salah had little effect on the outcome of the game despite playing a full 90 minutes, although he constantly got harassed by Dennis Aogo who earned a yellow card after his foul on Salah. Aogo was subbed off later in the game to avoid a second yellow.
Fellow Egyptian international Mohamed El-Nenny stayed on the bench the whole game.
In the other fixture in their group, Chelsea managed to beat Romanian side Steaua Bucuresti 4-0 in Romania thanks to a Ramires double, an own-goal & a solo effort from Frank Lampard.
Schalke now sit first in the group, Chelsea at second place with just goal difference separating them from FC Basel.