Egyptian locals national team and Hany Ramzy face a tough period ahead as...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
VIDEO: Salah plays 90 minutes as Basel stunned at home by Draxler wonder goal
Shock for FC Basel as they’re beaten at home in their second match in the group stages after winning their first game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
After beating their opposition’s U-19 team earlier, Schalke managed to get the win at the St. Jakob Park.
Arguably the biggest highlight of the game was when it was halted due to Greenpeace activists abseil from the stadium roof midway through the first half.
The only goal of the game came at the 54th minute through a wonderful effort by German prodigy Julien Draxler.
Although Basel controlled possession over the game (56%), they still failed to be effective on goal.
Mohamed Salah had little effect on the outcome of the game despite playing a full 90 minutes, although he constantly got harassed by Dennis Aogo who earned a yellow card after his foul on Salah. Aogo was subbed off later in the game to avoid a second yellow.
Fellow Egyptian international Mohamed El-Nenny stayed on the bench the whole game.
In the other fixture in their group, Chelsea managed to beat Romanian side Steaua Bucuresti 4-0 in Romania thanks to a Ramires double, an own-goal & a solo effort from Frank Lampard.
Schalke now sit first in the group, Chelsea at second place with just goal difference separating them from FC Basel.