Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
VIDEO: Farag free-kick lifts 10-man Lierse over Charleroi
An excellent Ahmed Samir Farag free-kick saw 10-man Lierse claim all three points at home in a 2-1 win against Sporting Charleroi on Saturday.
Egypt international Ahmed Samir Farag, whose contract expires at the end of the season, scored a delightful free-kick less than 10 minutes after on loan Celtic striker Tony Watt was unjustly sent off to seal Lierse’s comeback at the Het Lisp.
Dolly Menga capitalized on a defensive slip-up and scored in the 52nd minute to cancel out Giuseppe Rossini’s opener for Charleroi less than five minutes prior.
27-year-old left-back Farag found the back of the net for the first time in the Belgium with a free-kick just outside the box in the 71st minute to gift Lierse their first win in four games.
Egypt international duo Ahmed Samir Farag and Hossam Ghaly both played the full 90 minutes on Saturday, and the latter was cautioned in the final minute of the game.
Zamalek are said to be interested in signing Farag in January, but it is highly unlikely after the White Knights tied down Mohamed Abdel-Shafy to a new 3-year deal this week, while the player is keen to continue in Europe.
Lierse moved up to 11th place in the league with 14 points from 14 games. The Yellow Black’s Army are set to face 13th place OH Leuven next Saturday.
Ahmed Samir Farag Post-Match Interview: