Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
Taher Abou-Zeid: ‘National icon’ Sisi images different than Rabaa sign
The Egyptian Minister of Sports Taher Abou-Zeid appeared on Al-Hayah TV last Monday and announced a controversial statement by saying that signs and pictures of a ‘national icon’ like the armed forces chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi can not be compared to the Rabaa sign that supports ‘a group that all Egyptians are against’.
When the former Ahly player was asked on Al-Hayah-Al-Youm daily Egyptian broadcast about the possibility of players showing their support for Sisi on the field, he responded: “That is an imaginary incident and I will not comment on it, but of course there is a major difference between the two incidents.” He continued by saying that mixing politics with sports should be banned in all the fields but showing support for an icon who all Egyptians agree on is a different situation.
This is the same Minister who said on November the 10th after Abdel-Zaher celebrated with a salute for ‘Rabaa’ after scoring Al Ahly’s second goal in the Champions league final: “All international customs and doctrines consider mixing sports with politics a crime and I am sure that heavy sanctions from Al Ahly and the FA are awaiting him.”
This should not be Abou-Zeid’s and the domestic football association’s business because the incident came on a game under the CAF rules; however, Abdel-Zaher has since been suspended and transfer listed by Al Ahly, and may never represent the Egyptian national team again.