Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
VIDEO: El-Nenny impresses, Salah assists as Basel down Thun
League leaders FC Basel came back from behind to beat mid-table FC Thun 4-1 as Salah came off the bench to set up the fourth goal in a game where El-Nenny impressed.
Mohamed El-Nenny started in midfield and played the whole game whilst fellow Egyptian Mohamed Salah started on the bench. FC Thun began the game off well and after 13 minutes took the lead. A powerful Nelson Ferreira shot forced a fine save from Basel keeper Germano Vailati leading to a corner. From that corner Thun’s centre-back Fulvio Sulmoni jumped up high and headed in.
The league leaders responded well and in the 21st minute Valentin Stocker equalised after a nice bit of build up play from El-Nenny and Streller. In the second half Kay Voser gave FC Basel the lead with his first league goal since 2007.
Mohamed Salah came on in the 68th minute for Giovanni Sio in Basel’s attempts to kill off the game. The third goal came in the 75th minute when Voser produced an inch-perfect cross into Marco Streller who rose tall and headed over the keeper. Salah had a good impact on the game and he had a wonderful chance to score a goal of his own as he outpaced and fought off the Thun centre back but his shot hit the post. Salah then went on to set up Basel’s fourth goal of the game which came in the 93rd minute as his low cross found Stephan Andrist.
El-Nenny had a good game and was involved in the build up play for two of the goals, a recent change to his below average performances as of late.
FC Basel who are first in the league take on Young Boys Bern next week after they host Chelsea mid-week in the UEFA Champions League group game.
– Ahmad Yousef