Côte d’Ivoire international Gervinho is set to miss the 2017 CAF Africa Cup...
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
VIDEO: Marcello Lippi predicts ‘tough’ battle with Al Ahly
“They (Al Ahly) are obviously a good team, well-organized. They are physically and mentally prepared well for the match. It will be a tough match for both of us,” Lippi told a pre-match press conference on Wednesday.
“But, hopefully, we can make through to meet Bayern,” added Lippi, who led Italy to win the World Cup in 2006.
Lippi also complained about frequent changes of the training grounds in Morocco – the hosts of the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time in history.
“We started training right after our arrival two days ago. Yesterday we were asked to go to a different pitch for training. Today we are told to train in the third pitch,” he said.
“We hope to avoid such a frequent change of the pitches. We need to get used to the field.”
Guangzhou Evergrande are making their debut in the Club World Cup after winning the AFC Champions League for the first time in the club’s history, while Al Ahly have made four previous appearances at the tournament – 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012.
Ahly and Evergrande meet on Saturday, with the winners advancing to take on European champions Bayern Munich in the semi-finals on Tuesday.