KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
- Roma cruise past Sampdoria to reach quarter-finals
- Elmohamady: Uganda’s match is very important
- EXCLUSIVE: Union Española turn down Zamalek bid for Carlos Salom
- Burkina Faso duo Pitroipa, Zongo to miss rest of AFCON
Salah, El-Nenny’s Basel eliminated from UCL in controversial fashion
Swiss champions Basel eliminated from the UEFA Champions League by FC Schalke in Germany after a series of questionable decisions by the referee, Tagliavento.
Mohamed Salah played a full 90 minutes while El-Nenny was subbed off on the 61st minute in arguably the most controversial game of the round, as FC Basel lost to German side Schalke after going into the game needing a draw or a win to qualify.
It all started in the 31st minuted after Ivanov was sent off for a challenge similar to one made by Höwedes on Streller just a minute or two before the incident.
After intense pressure from Schalke, they had to wait until the 51st minute to score as Julien Draxler did it again after scoring in the reverse fixture against the Swiss team.
Schalke then made it two after Basel attempted an offside trap from a free-kick which the Tagliavento failed to spot and Matip put the Germans upfront from an offside position in the 57th minute.
Yann Sommer kept saving Basel on numerous occasions as the hosts came very near to scoring the third of the game after the goalkeeper tipped Farfan’s shot which hit the post.
Schalke accompany Chelsea to the round of 16, while Basel will have to settle for a Europa League spot.