Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
VIDEO: Al Ahly open new season with a 2-0 win over Military Production
Following a disappointing performance at the FIFA Club World Cup, a depleted Al Ahly squad bounced back to kick-off their 2013/2014 Egyptian Premier League season with a 2-0 win over Military Production.
Al Ahly XI:
Sherif Ekramy – Shedid Kenawy – Wael Gomaa – Mohamed Naguib – Ahmed Nabil Manga – Shehab El-Din Ahmed – Mahmoud ‘Trezeguet’ – Ahmed Shokry – Abdullah El-Said – Emad Meteb – El-Sayed Hamdy.
Injuries dominated the first half when El Entag’s Ahmed Saad caught a flying knee to the face from Ahmed Shokry. Not long after, Emad Meteb left the field with a strained hamstring, adding to Al Ahly’s long list of injured players which includes Sayed Moawad, Hossam Ashour, Ahmed Fathi, Rami Rabia, Walid Soliman and Sherif Abdel-Fadil.
The Military Production had more than one dangerous free-kick near Sherif Ekramy’s goal in the first half, but none of them really threatened.
Al Ahly’s most dangerous chance was in the 23rd minute when Abdullah El-Said failed to convert Ahmed Nabil Manga’s cross. The ball hit the post and was cleared by the defense.
Al Ahly were awarded a penalty in the 68th minute when Amr Fahim tackled – and was also booked – for a challenge on Manga inside the box. Abdullah El-Said successfully converted the spot-kick with his shot straight into the upper left corner to claim Al Ahly’s first goal.
Manga was directly involved in the second goal as well as he skilfully crossed the ball towards Ahly youngster Amr Gamal, who jumped over the keeper and headed home to double the score.
After Matchday One, Al Ahly are currently in first place of Group A while Misr El-Maqassa are second on goal difference.