Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
VIDEO: Koka scores in League Cup win
A cold afternoon and a deserted stadium formed the scenery for the match between Rio Ave and Paços de Ferreira, part of the 3rd round of the Portuguese League Cup, its second group stage.
The match was lively and early on both teams created chances, first by Paços’ Carlão and then a combination play by Joeano and Koka was intercepted near the goal line by Ricardo.
The match was entertaining and attacks were end to end and a goal was just a matter of time. At the 36th minute, Braga crosses the ball into the path of Koka, who takes a sliding shot which goes into the back of Matías Degra’s net, to give Rio Ave the lead.
The second half had less action, with substitute Bebé having a shot intercepted by Rio Ave’s Ederson.
Tempers boiled over near the end of the match, with substitute Rui Miguel collecting two yellows in less than 20 minutes and being sent off at the 85th minute.
Shortly afterwards, Ricardo fouled Sandro Lima in the box and also received his marching order, leaving Paços with 9 men and a penalty to defend. Ukra stepped up to the plate and beat Degra, to make the 2-0 just before injury time.
Rio Ave start their League Cup campaign with the right foot and will hope to beat Vitória Setúbal in their next match to guarantee a spot in the semi-finals.
As for Ali Ghazal’s Nacional, they will play tomorrow night, against Benfica.