Al Ahly coach Hossam El Badry rejected all rumors and reports saying...
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
- Handball: Al Ahly win Africa Cup Winners’ Cup Championship
- Gaber starts in thrilling 2-2 draw against Vaduz
- Ramadan Sobhi’s Stoke fall 2-0 to Swansea City
- 10-man Hull City cruise past Watford with ease
- Wadi Degla women crowned Egypt Cup champions
- Hany Zada: Kahraba will continue his career abroad
- Ryan Giggs: Mohamed Salah is an exciting player
- Kahraba scores and assists as Ittihad win at Ettifaq
Forest bid for Al Ahly’s Ahmed Fathi
Ahmed Fathi could make a return to the Championship as Nottingham Forest have made a bid to sign the 29-year-old right wing-back from Cairo giants Al Ahly, according to the BBC’s Ian Dennis.
Egypt international Fathi, who has been capped just over 100 times by his country, had a frustrating spell at Hull City in the Championship last year, as he was only given one start in seven appearances for the Tigers.
However, Fathi was a finalist for the 2013 CAF Player of the Year (Based in Africa) after winning the African Champions League with Al Ahly later that year, but former team-mate Mohamed Abou-Treika beat him to the award.
The versatile Egyptian who can also play as a centre defensive midfielder or a centre-back, also found himself in CAF’s Best African XI for 2013, in a backline comprising of Roma’s Mehdi Benatia and AC Milan’s Kevin Constant.
Receiving a work permit shouldn’t be an issue for Fathi, as he has constantly featured for the national team in 2013 while playing for Hull City in the same year.
Libyan side Al Ahly Tripoli were reportedly on the verge of signing Fathi this winter, but Al Ahly (Cairo) coach Mohamed Youssef rejected the move last week.
It is worth noting Forest have also been continuously linked with Fathi’s team-mate, 19-year-old Al Ahly midfielder Mahmoud Trezeguet, and the club would be willing to part ways with the starlet for a fee of £1million.
Fathi previously played in the English Premier League in 2007 with Sheffield United, making only three appearances before being sold to Al Ahly.