Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Forest bid for Al Ahly’s Ahmed Fathi
Ahmed Fathi could make a return to the Championship as Nottingham Forest have made a bid to sign the 29-year-old right wing-back from Cairo giants Al Ahly, according to the BBC’s Ian Dennis.
Egypt international Fathi, who has been capped just over 100 times by his country, had a frustrating spell at Hull City in the Championship last year, as he was only given one start in seven appearances for the Tigers.
However, Fathi was a finalist for the 2013 CAF Player of the Year (Based in Africa) after winning the African Champions League with Al Ahly later that year, but former team-mate Mohamed Abou-Treika beat him to the award.
The versatile Egyptian who can also play as a centre defensive midfielder or a centre-back, also found himself in CAF’s Best African XI for 2013, in a backline comprising of Roma’s Mehdi Benatia and AC Milan’s Kevin Constant.
Receiving a work permit shouldn’t be an issue for Fathi, as he has constantly featured for the national team in 2013 while playing for Hull City in the same year.
Libyan side Al Ahly Tripoli were reportedly on the verge of signing Fathi this winter, but Al Ahly (Cairo) coach Mohamed Youssef rejected the move last week.
It is worth noting Forest have also been continuously linked with Fathi’s team-mate, 19-year-old Al Ahly midfielder Mahmoud Trezeguet, and the club would be willing to part ways with the starlet for a fee of £1million.
Fathi previously played in the English Premier League in 2007 with Sheffield United, making only three appearances before being sold to Al Ahly.