Egypt’s national volleyball team won the 2016 Women’s U-23 African Nations Championship...
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad to face Smouha
- Preview: MO Bejaia look to snatch CAF Confederation Cup from continental giants TP Mazembe
- HANDBALL: Al Ahly top their group, qualify to quarterfinals in African championship
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
Official: Adam El-Abd joins Bristol City from Brighton & Hove Albion
29-year-old Egypt international Adam El-Abd has signed a three-and-a-half year contract with League One side Bristol City on Thursday, the club’s official website announced.
The centre-back, who has made seven appearances for Egypt, renewed his contract with Brighton last May. However, he only started in six league games for the Seagulls this season.
El-Abd’s move to Bristol City will hopefully allow him more playing time, after he dropped down the pecking order to Albion’s third centre-back. His final game for Brighton was his 300th league appearance, having gone through the club’s ranks since his youth days. He was the longest serving member of the club.
Bristol City were relegated from the Championship last season and at the moment lie in second to last place in League One. Bristol City boss was very pleased with the transfer, saying on Bristol City’s official website: “He’s capable of playing football from the back and we’re delighted to have him here to complement the good defenders already on our books. If he’s half as popular here as he is at Brighton then that will be great, and I know he will be.”
The Egypt international will wear the number 18 jersey and is available for the squad for Bristol’s next game against MK Dons.
Adam El-Abd was also delighted to join the Robins. He said: “It’s been a crazy week but I’m just delighted to be here and sign the contract, I’ve been at Brighton since I was nine years old, I love the club but I think now is time for a fresh challenge. I want to play football; it has killed me to sit on the bench at Brighton and not get a fair crack. There is still a large chunk of the campaign remaining so I don’t see why we can’t put a few wins together and make a success of the season.
“Naturally there are some fears joining a team in the relegation zone, but now it’s time for me to roll my sleeves up and make sure we get a few wins on the board. It’s a totally new experience for me to join a new club. It’s a challenge I’m looking forward to and I want to grab it by the scruff of the neck.”
– Ahmad Yousef