Egypt internationals Ali Zein and Mohamed Mamdouh’s French club Pays d’Aix Université have qualified...
- Mamdouh and Zein feature in Pays d’Aix cup win
- SQUASH: 10 Egyptians advance to second round of Windy City Open
- We are not afraid of Zamalek, says Enugu Rangers chief
- Pioli answers: Will Salah be key man for Roma against Inter?
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
- AS Roma to face Olympique Lyonnais in Europa League
- Smouha set date for Ulinzi Stars clash
- El-Hadary: I apologise to everyone at Wadi Degla
Portuguese Pharaohs win League Cup matches – Gomaa makes full debut
Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa all came out victorious of their League Cup encounters, both against lower-league opposition.
On Sunday, and without Koka, Rio Ave beat second-tier team Sporting Covilhã 1-3, with goals from Braga, in the 24th minute, Ukra slotted home the second in the 42nd and finally, Pedro Santos scored his sides’ last goal in the 62nd. In the meantime, the mountaineers got a goal back via a Forbes penalty.
Rio Ave qualify for the semi-finals of the League Cup, and will face Sporting Braga at home, on the 12th of February.
As for Nacional, they traveled to the outskirts of Porto to face Leixões in a match that turned out very scrappy. Both Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa played the full 90 minutes, Gomaa’s first start since moving to Nacional, and left 0-2 winners.
The first half was plentiful in misses from both sides, but as soon as the second half began, Nacional attacked hard and scored two rapid-fire goals from Lucas João and João Aurélio, to give the Madeiran side the win. Leixões had a chance to reduce the disadvantage through a penalty awarded to them, but Sequeira’s spot-kick was saved. Shortly after a chance from Gomaa, Leixões were reduced to 10-men, after Pedro Pinto received his second yellow.
Both teams had already been eliminated from the competition, so Nacional only take bragging rights from this match and can now focus solely on the League.
In other news, last weekend Gil Vicente junior player Amr Mokhtar – who joined the team last summer coming from Egyptian Premier league club ENPPI – scored the winning goal against Famalicão, which qualified the Barcelos team for the next phase of the U-19 2nd division championship.