Egypt giants Al Ahly have announced the date for their encounter with Zambian...
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
Portuguese Pharaohs win League Cup matches – Gomaa makes full debut
Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa all came out victorious of their League Cup encounters, both against lower-league opposition.
On Sunday, and without Koka, Rio Ave beat second-tier team Sporting Covilhã 1-3, with goals from Braga, in the 24th minute, Ukra slotted home the second in the 42nd and finally, Pedro Santos scored his sides’ last goal in the 62nd. In the meantime, the mountaineers got a goal back via a Forbes penalty.
Rio Ave qualify for the semi-finals of the League Cup, and will face Sporting Braga at home, on the 12th of February.
As for Nacional, they traveled to the outskirts of Porto to face Leixões in a match that turned out very scrappy. Both Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa played the full 90 minutes, Gomaa’s first start since moving to Nacional, and left 0-2 winners.
The first half was plentiful in misses from both sides, but as soon as the second half began, Nacional attacked hard and scored two rapid-fire goals from Lucas João and João Aurélio, to give the Madeiran side the win. Leixões had a chance to reduce the disadvantage through a penalty awarded to them, but Sequeira’s spot-kick was saved. Shortly after a chance from Gomaa, Leixões were reduced to 10-men, after Pedro Pinto received his second yellow.
Both teams had already been eliminated from the competition, so Nacional only take bragging rights from this match and can now focus solely on the League.
In other news, last weekend Gil Vicente junior player Amr Mokhtar – who joined the team last summer coming from Egyptian Premier league club ENPPI – scored the winning goal against Famalicão, which qualified the Barcelos team for the next phase of the U-19 2nd division championship.