Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Individual Highlights: 16-year-old Ramadan Sobhy’s first official match with Al Ahly
Al Ahly’s coach Mohamed Youssef surprised everybody when he started yesterday’s match against Ghazl El-Mahalla with 16-year-old Ramadan Sobhy, even though the team lost the last two league matches and needed to win this one badly.
The young attacking midfielder’s debut came after he started training a while ago with the first team to cover the shortfall as the African champions are suffering from injuries and suspensions that stopped key players like Emad Meteb, Gedo, Walid Soliman, Sherif Abdel-Fadil and Ahmed Fathi from playing.
Sobhy, born in 1997, took his chance in this match wearing the number 31 along with Ahmed Raouf as the two main strikers instead of the duo El-Sayed Hamdy and Amr Gamal.
Unfortunately, Ramadan Sobhy was substituted after 30 minutes in which he had a chance with a shot that barely swerved away from El-Mahalla’s goalkeeper.
The substitution came after Wael Gomaa received a red card which made coach Youssef compelled to substitute him with Ahmed Nabil ‘Manga’ to fill the gap in defense.
However Sayed Abdelhafiz, Ahly football director, praised Ramadan’s performance saying: “An outstanding player and a win for the team in today’s game as he is 17 (in June) and his performance in El-Mahalla match was good but he was not lucky to continue the game because of the dismissal of the captain of the team.”
“Ramadan’s blessed start will help him reach his goals with Al Ahly since he was praised by the coaching staff and the youth sector,” he added.
Watch individual highlights of his performance below…