Egypt international Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim Kahraba scored a brace as Al-Ittihad beat Al-Ettifaq...
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores brace as Ittihad thrash Ettifaq
- Wenger gives update on Elneny’s condition
- OFFICIAL: Gabon appoint Jose Camacho as new manager
- Mahmoud Fayez: Salah will be fit in time for AFCON
- SQUASH: Egyptian women take world’s top three spots for first time in history
- SQUASH: Egypt beat USA to reach WWTC semi-finals
- Ahmed Gafaar excluded from Zamalek’s squad against El-Dakhleya
- Salah out for three weeks with an ankle injury
- Wim De Coninck believes Trezeguet must return to Anderlecht
- Egypt features in list of referees for 2017 AFCON
VIDEO: Hossam Ghaly assists as Lierse claim vital away win
Lierse thrashed bottom placed Mons on Saturday night with a 5-1 away win keeping them clear of the relegation zone.
Lierse claimed a vital three points to keep them in mid-table and are now making good distance away from the relegation zone standing eight points clear with just five games remaining.
The home side were the first team on the score sheet with a goal in the 37th minute from Tim Matthys. It was only in the second half that things started to click for in form Lierse who scored five second half goals. Juventus’ Senegal loanee Mbaye Diagne pulled two back to back goals for Lierse in the 59th and 60th minutes leaving the score at 2-1.
Hossam Ghaly started and played the full 90 minutes and was booked in the 18th minute. He assisted Lierse’s third goal as he set up Celtic loanee Tony Watt in the 72nd minute.
Mons were reduced to 10 men in the 82nd minute as Gregory Lorenzi was sent off. Watt added his second of the game three minutes before time to give Lierse the fourth and Diagne completed his hat-trick two minutes into added time.
The win sees Lierse climb five places, from 13th — 2 positions away from the relegation zone — to 9th. Many believed the Egyptian-owned club would not be able to survive this season however, the large margin by which Lierse won emphasizes their ability to stay in the Belgian top flight, as points are close near the relegation zone and goal difference might prove vital.