Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
VIDEO: Mido’s men take first leg advantage as Zamalek down Douanes in Cairo
Mohamed Ibrahim and Momen Zakariya spearhead Zamalek to a 2-0 CAF Champions League victory over AS Douanes of Niger in a vibrant Cairo Stadium as 25,000 Ultras White Knights watched their team cruise to victory.
Cairo giants Zamalek recorded a 2-0 victory of Niger Champions AS Douanes in the CAF Champions League at Cairo International Stadium with 25,000 fans permitted attendance on Sunday.
Abdel-Wahed El-Sayed; Ahmed Samir (Omar Gamal ’45), Mahmoud Fathallah, Yasser Ibrahim, Mohamed Abdel-Shafy; Nour El-Sayed (Omar Gaber ’74), Hazem Emam; Momen Zakariya, Mohamed Ibrahim, Mostafa Fathi (Ahmed Gaafar 55); Ahmed Ali.
The first goal came from attacking midfielder Mohamed Ibrahim who converted a first half penalty to give his side the lead after youngster Mostafa Fathi was tripped in the box. Zamalek dominated possession throughout the first half however failed to create many opportunities in what seemed to be a dull affair until Mohamed Ibrahim stepped up from the spot. The goal injected life into the team and fans and the White Knights went on the search for more to increase their lead.
In the second half, Mido introduced Omar Gamal who injected some life into what was a lethargic frontline and had a good effort saved by the onrushing AS Douanes keeper. Gamal and Momen Zakariya were at the heart of most of Zamalek’s attacks in the second half as the hosts pushed on to increase their lead.
Ahmed Gaafar, who came on for Mostafa Fathi, had a good header just go wide while Ahmed Ali forced a fine save from the opposition keeper as Zamalek were desperately looking for more goals.
Finally, five minutes from time, Gaafar laid the ball onto Momen Zakariya with a brilliant back heel that was finished brilliantly with a low shot into the bottom corner. A goal Zamalek will cherish great-fully as it gives them a bigger advantage in the next tie away in Niger.
Mido’s men will now look to finish business off next week in Niger and qualify for the round of 32 of the CAF Champions League after todays good result.