Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Elmo back, Shika out, while El-Hadary may make squad against Bosnia
Six European-based players have been called up to the Egypt squad for their March 5 friendly against Bosnia.
Recently appointed Egypt National team manager Shawky Ghabrib selects six players plying their trade abroad, most noticeably calling back Elmohamady. Chelsea and Nacional new boys Salah and Saleh Gomaa make the squad respectively, while Essam El-Hadary is being considered.
The most noticeable absentee is recent Sporting Lisbon acquisition Shikabala, who had to leave a recent friendly match on his debut for Sporting Lisbon B after sustaining a first-half injury. Meanwhile, Hull City winger Ahmed Elmohamady was recalled to the team after missing Egypt’s last match, a home World Cup qualifier against Ghana. The former ENPPI starlet was said to have fallen out with former Egypt manager Bob Bradley.
The squad also witnesses the return of defensive midfielder Ali Ghazal, who will be joined by Nacional de Madeira teammate Saleh Gomaa.
In a shock announcement, Egypt boss Gharib confirmed that Essam El-Hadary is amongst the list of goalkeepers being considered for one of the three spots available for that postion.
The team will name its domestic-based contingent likely within a week, with manager Shawky Gharib confirming that Al Ahly and Zamalek SC players will not be included in the training camp due to their African commitments with their clubs.
Egypt are set for their first training camp under their new manager on February 28.
The Bosnia friendly will be played in Austria. Egypt is also slated for friendly matches against Portugal (in London) and at Russia later this spring.
Full list of the European-based players:
Mohamed Salah (Chelsea, England), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull City, England), Mohamed El-Neny (FC Basel, Switzerland), Hossam Ghaly (Lierse, Belgium), Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa (Nacional de Madeira, Portugal)