Following the coronation of Mamelodi Sundowns with their first ever title, KingFut experts picked out...
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad to face Smouha
- Preview: MO Bejaia look to snatch CAF Confederation Cup from continental giants TP Mazembe
- HANDBALL: Al Ahly top their group, qualify to quarterfinals in African championship
Elmo back, Shika out, while El-Hadary may make squad against Bosnia
Six European-based players have been called up to the Egypt squad for their March 5 friendly against Bosnia.
Recently appointed Egypt National team manager Shawky Ghabrib selects six players plying their trade abroad, most noticeably calling back Elmohamady. Chelsea and Nacional new boys Salah and Saleh Gomaa make the squad respectively, while Essam El-Hadary is being considered.
The most noticeable absentee is recent Sporting Lisbon acquisition Shikabala, who had to leave a recent friendly match on his debut for Sporting Lisbon B after sustaining a first-half injury. Meanwhile, Hull City winger Ahmed Elmohamady was recalled to the team after missing Egypt’s last match, a home World Cup qualifier against Ghana. The former ENPPI starlet was said to have fallen out with former Egypt manager Bob Bradley.
The squad also witnesses the return of defensive midfielder Ali Ghazal, who will be joined by Nacional de Madeira teammate Saleh Gomaa.
In a shock announcement, Egypt boss Gharib confirmed that Essam El-Hadary is amongst the list of goalkeepers being considered for one of the three spots available for that postion.
The team will name its domestic-based contingent likely within a week, with manager Shawky Gharib confirming that Al Ahly and Zamalek SC players will not be included in the training camp due to their African commitments with their clubs.
Egypt are set for their first training camp under their new manager on February 28.
The Bosnia friendly will be played in Austria. Egypt is also slated for friendly matches against Portugal (in London) and at Russia later this spring.
Full list of the European-based players:
Mohamed Salah (Chelsea, England), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull City, England), Mohamed El-Neny (FC Basel, Switzerland), Hossam Ghaly (Lierse, Belgium), Ali Ghazal and Saleh Gomaa (Nacional de Madeira, Portugal)