An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
VIDEO: Wael Gomaa announces his retirement at the end of the season
Legendary Egypt and Al Ahly center-back Wael Gomaa has announced his decision to retire from football at the end of the season.
Following Mohamed Barakat and Mohamed Abou Treika’s retirement, it was expected for Wael Gomaa to call it a day as well, but instead chose to continue till the end of the season with the Red Devils.
The 38-years old, nicknamed as ‘The Rock’ announced his retirement in tears in the post-match press conference following Al Ahly’s 6th CAF Super Cup triumf after beating Sfaxien 3-2 in Cairo International Stadium.
“I will not find a more suitable moment for me to announce my retirement. I will not be able to do anything more than what I have done for Al Ahly,” stated Gomaa.
“I will stay with the team until the end of this season because Al Ahly needs my services, especially as the club have given me so much.
“I wish that people appreciate what I have done for Al Ahly.”
He was in tears while announcing his decision, which reflects how hard it was for him and how much he loves Al Ahly: “The best moment of my life is when I entered Al Ahly,” Gomaa said.
Wael Gomaa is considered by many as the best defender in Africa during the past 8 years, since 2006 when both the National team and Al Ahly achieved numerous championships with him being an ever-present figure at both club and country levels.
Gomaa has more Championships than many teams, which is very remarkable. Some of his numerous honors include:
Best player in World Military Cup of Nations 2001
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Angola 2010
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Ghana 2008
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Egypt 2006
2010 CAF Best African Defender
2009 CAF Best African Defender
2008 CAF Best African Defender
2006 CAF Best African Defender
Titles with Al Ahly:
Bronze Medalist at FIFA Club World Cup 2006
CAF Champions League (6): 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013
CAF Super Cup (5): 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013
Egyptian Premier League (7): 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011
Egyptian Cup (3): 2002-03, 2005–2006, 2006-2007
Egyptian Super Cup (5): 2004/2005, 2005/2006, 2006/2007, 2007/2008, 2009/2010