Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
VIDEO: Wael Gomaa announces his retirement at the end of the season
Legendary Egypt and Al Ahly center-back Wael Gomaa has announced his decision to retire from football at the end of the season.
Following Mohamed Barakat and Mohamed Abou Treika’s retirement, it was expected for Wael Gomaa to call it a day as well, but instead chose to continue till the end of the season with the Red Devils.
The 38-years old, nicknamed as ‘The Rock’ announced his retirement in tears in the post-match press conference following Al Ahly’s 6th CAF Super Cup triumf after beating Sfaxien 3-2 in Cairo International Stadium.
“I will not find a more suitable moment for me to announce my retirement. I will not be able to do anything more than what I have done for Al Ahly,” stated Gomaa.
“I will stay with the team until the end of this season because Al Ahly needs my services, especially as the club have given me so much.
“I wish that people appreciate what I have done for Al Ahly.”
He was in tears while announcing his decision, which reflects how hard it was for him and how much he loves Al Ahly: “The best moment of my life is when I entered Al Ahly,” Gomaa said.
Wael Gomaa is considered by many as the best defender in Africa during the past 8 years, since 2006 when both the National team and Al Ahly achieved numerous championships with him being an ever-present figure at both club and country levels.
Gomaa has more Championships than many teams, which is very remarkable. Some of his numerous honors include:
Best player in World Military Cup of Nations 2001
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Angola 2010
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Ghana 2008
Named in the CAF Best XI in the ACN Egypt 2006
2010 CAF Best African Defender
2009 CAF Best African Defender
2008 CAF Best African Defender
2006 CAF Best African Defender
Titles with Al Ahly:
Bronze Medalist at FIFA Club World Cup 2006
CAF Champions League (6): 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013
CAF Super Cup (5): 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013
Egyptian Premier League (7): 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011
Egyptian Cup (3): 2002-03, 2005–2006, 2006-2007
Egyptian Super Cup (5): 2004/2005, 2005/2006, 2006/2007, 2007/2008, 2009/2010