Al Ahly Al Ittihad Al Masry Arab Contractors Gouna ENPPI Hodood Ismaily Petrojet Smouha Wadi Degla Zamalek Arsenal FC Basel Hull City AS Roma Lierse SK SC Braga Nacional Madeira Sporting Lisbon

El-Hadary included as Gharib announces squad for upcoming Bosnia friendly

By
Posted on February 26, 2014

Gharib announces squad

Egypt International team manager has announced a 22-man squad for the upcoming international friendly against , set to take place in Austria on the 5th of March.

The friendly is the beginning of a new era for the Pharaohs, with it marking the debut of manager Shawky Gharib, who took over from American Bob Bradley after the disappointment of failing to make yet another World Cup back in November of last year. Gharib, who will be looking to make an instant impact, previously announced six foreign based players that were to be included in the squad, whilst announcing the locally based players on Wednesday morning.

Zamalek players have been excluded from the friendly, with prior commitments having been made due to upcoming CAF Champions League crunch matches for a place in the last sixteen. There were some surprises though, with the recall of national team icon , after a year out of the national team after a bust up with the previous manager. The experienced shot-stopper, now plying his trade at Wadi Degla, will face stern competition for a starting berth from established starter Sherif Ekramy after some brilliant performances in previous international fixtures.

On fire Al Ahly youngster Amr Gamal has also been selected in the squad after some scintillating performances, the latest a two goal haul in the CAF Super Cup against Sfaxien of Tunisia. The Pharaohs will be using the game as preparation for the upcoming 2015 CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifiers, aiming to break their way back into the competition after not making the last two editions.

Egypt’s squad for the Bosnia clash:

Goalkeepers: Essam El-Hadary (Wadi Degla), Sherif Ekramy (Al Ahly) and Ahmed El-Shenawy (Al Masry)

Defenders: Ali Ghazal (Nacional de Madeira – Portugal), Rami Rabia and Ahmed Fathi (Al Ahly), Shawky El-Said (Ismaily), Ahmed Said ‘Okka’ (Smouha) and Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull City)

Midfielders: Mohamed El-Nenny (Basel – Switzerland), Hossam Ghaly (Lierse – Belgium), Ibrahim Hassan (Ismaily), Saleh Gomaa (Nacional de Madeira – Portugal), Tarek Hamed (Smouha), Ahmed Hamoudi and Ibrahim Abdel-Khalek (Smouha)

Forwards: Mohamed Nagy ‘Gedo’ and Amr Gamal (Ahly), Mohamed Farouk (Arab Contractors), Mohamed Salah (Chelsea – England), Khaled Kamar (Ittihad El-Shorta) and Mohamed Ragab (Petrojet)

18 Comments

1. Nader

February 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

No Left Back???

• Andrew Sidhom (@AndrewEGY)

February 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Hmm.. maybe Shawky el Said ? I don’t know, honestly. What was wrong with picking up Moawad or Shedid? Or even Fouad Salama?

2. Ali

February 26, 2014 at 12:15 PM

This is just sad to be honest. This guy picks Kamar and Ragab over Kahraba and Koka. That’s just ridiculous. And Ahly players have a Champions League match too the following weekend, why did their players get called up and not Zamalek. Where’s Omar Gaber, Mohamed Ibrahim, Hazem Emam, Mohamed Abdul Shafy, Ahmed Ali?!?!? And there’s not even a single left back on the team!!

• Mo

February 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Agree about Kahraba. Coaches said his exclusion is temporary, they just want to give other people chances, which doesn’t make sense. Koka has been pretty terrible this season. “Zamalek players have been excluded from the friendly, with prior commitments having been made due to upcoming CAF Champions League crunch matches for a place in the last sixteen.” I’m sure all of the players you listed above will be in other squads. Not sure why he selected Ahly players and not Zamalek players when they both have a game on March 1. Maybe Mido refused to let them go.

• Ali

February 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM

yea I know he’s had a bad season, but I’d rather have a striker who plays in the Portuguese league rather than someone like Ragab who has 3 goals in the Egyptian league. Its just logical. And if you’re not going to take all your players who play in Europe, at least take those who are playing good with Zamalek, like the names I mentioned. And I’m sure, like you said, they’ll show up in future squad but the one Gharib has picked for this match is just too weak.

• Andrew Sidhom (@AndrewEGY)

February 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I don’t think Koka’s been terrible. It’s not all about the goals. I haven’t watched him a lot but I liked what I’ve seen. He’s just very isolated most of the time but plays well when given the ball at all. From what I’ve heard from others, they say last season he had a secondary striker providing him service, this year Rio Ave attacks through two wide wingers who play selfishly.

• Andrew Sidhom (@AndrewEGY)

February 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I think it’s the fact that Zamalek are travelling to play on the 8th while Ahly are playing in Egypt on the 9th. This should have been brought up with CAF beforehand to delay Zamalek’s match. Travelling conditions in Arica should be taken into account.

100% agree about Kahraba and Koka.

3. Big Ern McCracken

February 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

the zamalek players didn’t join because they play in angola on i think march 7, so they would not be able to do the travelling and mido asked to have them excluded. the ahly, ismailly and wadi degla teams play in egypt on march 9 so it would be less tiring for them returning to egypt from austria. Do we even have a left back on this team? I think Kahraba should have been included, he’s scoring goals he deserves a spot.

4. Big Ern McCracken

February 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM

what do you guys think will be a possible lineup?
    I have no clue

5. Big Ern McCracken

February 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

possible lineup?

Ekramy
    Mohammady Rabia Ghazal Ouka
    Nenni
    Fathy Ghaly

Salah Gedo
    Gamal

6. Mr X

February 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

The amount of Zamalek “fans” that are pissed because no Zamalek players are included, even though it was Mido who requested that they don’t be included, is to damn high, and too damn annoying.

7. Nader

February 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Line-up:

———————Shenawy———————-
    Fathi———Rabia—–Ouka——–????
    —————-Elneny—Ghaly——————-
    Elmo————–Hamoudi——–Salah——–
    ——————–A.Gamal————————

8. Big Ern McCracken

February 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I am worried about this match, I really hope we can put in a decent performance

9. omar

February 26, 2014 at 6:01 PM

This is a bad line up to be honest, they should have planned ahead befor this game

10. Andrew Sidhom (@AndrewEGY)

February 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

My thoughts…

Goalkeepers: Great picks in Ekramy and Shenawi. Horrible decision to bring back El Hadary UNLESS he’s bringing him to be #2 or #3 and not the starting GK. Bradley didn’t think El Hadary could accept this role without creating a negative atmosphere in the team, and I don’t think he can either, but maybe Gharib wants to try to see for himself.

Center Backs: Rabia’s great and should be a regular starter now. Ouka’s pretty terrible, I’ve no idea why coaches still trust him based on past memories. Naguib’s absence is inexplicable. One bad game against Ghana doesn’t mean he’s not one our most solid current choices. Plus, he already redeemed himself in the return leg. Ghazal should be a solid prospect and I hope he plays more in this position for Madeira rather than midfield. I always thought Ismaily’s Abdelhamid Samy is underrated. Hoped he’d get a chance.

Left back: With Moawad, Shedid Kenawi (and possibly Fouad Salama) available, Gharib picks….. no one. No comment.

Right back: Fathi and Elmo still the obvious choices, no contest.

Defensive/Central Midfield: Tarek Hamed is an excellent choice. Saleh Gomaa fine choice too. Bradley got some underserved criticism about his insistence on Elneny and Ashour. Happy to see Gharib picked the former but it seems like Ashour will be out of the national team picture again for a long time. I still think Ashour can be an important player and he performed admirably in previous games for Bradley before Ghana.

Attacking midfield / Wingers : Way too much bias for Gharib’s past clubs reveals itself here in Hamoudy, Ibrahim Hassan and Abdel Khalik. They’re all fine prospects but the latter two especially are very raw talents and I think their inclusion is premature. I hoped to see Ayman Hefny and Kahraba instead.

Strikers: I don’t think Egyptian league scorers Kamar and Ragab are better than Koka even on a goal drought. Amr Gamal is another excellent prospect but whose inclusion in the first team is still premature and could be mentally damaging rather than encouraging.

• Ali

February 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Agree with everything you said except Naguib and the left backs Naguib I just don’t see him as an international player and the 6-1 Ghana game wasn’t his only bad match. I’d rather have Adam El-Abd, he’s a big, strong defender who just lacks pace and quickness. Same goes for Shedid and Salama. Shedid has always has bad performances for the national team except for the one qualifier against Mozambique or Zimbabwe. The rest of the matches, he’s just not good enough. I don’t think Salama has ever played for the national team but at age 33, there’s better than him and I’d rather give a chance to someone like Islam Ramadan (Ittihad Tripoli), Aly Fathy (great left back in Al Mokawloon/Arab Contractors) and of course Abdel-Shafy and Ahmed Samir Farag who has been great for Lierse in the Belgian League. I don’t mind seeing Moawad again but I think he’s slowed down a bit due to age.

• Andrew Sidhom (@AndrewEGY)

March 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but I’m gonna defend my points…

Re Naguib: If mean the 2-1 Zimbabwe game (for which he got some criticism b/c he could have done better to avoid Zimbabwe’s goal) I have to disagree as I think he and Gomaa had a near-perfect game except for that 1 goal. Our overall defensive organization was shaky but I’m not the only one who rated our 2CBs very highly individually. Generally speaking, I won’t say Nagib is ideal but our options there are very limited. El-Abd had 1 great season but then had an injury and a manager change at Brighton which pushed him to the deck. His form dived which was clear in the game he played vs Guinea. He’s now playing in the English 3rd division. I doubt that’s good enough to bring him back in the picture.

Shedid.. I totally disagree with you. It wasn’t just 1 good qualifier. Whenever he got 3-4 consecutive games for Ahly his form got great (for both club & country). He was one of the best on the pitch vs. Cote d’Ivoire in January (assisted both our goals) and had other great games especially Chile, Zimbabwe home & away & Mozambique. When he didn’t play for Ahly it’s normal that his form was affected & I think Bradley’s only mistake regarding him was to start him in Ghana as at that point, he was hardly playing for Ahly at all since some time.

Islam Ramadan and Ali Fathy I don’t think are good enough. They’re workmanlike. They just do the job but you need something a bit special to be an international & they don’t imo. Ahmed Samir Farag is better but I still wouldn’t rate him as an Egypt international. He’s weak defensively, and offensively he tends to be lazy and slow at times.

Fouad Salama I know is old but I was just mentioning him as a temporary solution since Shafy is unavailable. For me the top 3 leftbacks would be Moawad, Shedid and Shafy. The order would depend on form.

11. Mo

February 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Also… Where is Trezeguet?!