Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Zamalek one step closer to round of 16 with win over Kabuscorp
Mido’s men get one step closer to the round of 16 in the African Champions League after defeating Angola champions Kabuscorp 1-0 in Cairo on Saturday night.
Zamalek secured a vital CAF Champions League win against Kabuscorp at the Cairo International Stadium on Saturday night, to make their job easier in the second leg at Angola.
Zamalek XI: Abdel-Wahed El-Sayed – Ahmed Samir – Mahmoud Fathallah – Mohamed Abdel-Shafy – Ahmed Tawfik – Hazem Emam – Salah Soliman – Omar Gaber – Mohamed Ibrahim – Nour El-Sayed – Ahmed Gaafar
Kabuscorp XI: Ley Matampi – Issama Mpeko – Hernani – Silva – Kialunda – Lunguinha – Lami – Zuela – Wilson – Albert Meyong – Trésor Mputu.
A dull start to the match with no serious chances from either sides, Zamalek had possession but they were no where close to goal.
The first chance came from Zamalek’s Ahmed Samir after 30 minutes. Mohamed Ibrahim put in a good corner kick which was cleared by the defenders, coming from behind Samir who shot the ball from the edge of the box which went right in between the keeper’s hands.
Later on Hazem Emam broke through the Kabuscorp defense into the box before taking a sloppy shot which missed the goal by a few inches.
It was pouring on Kabuscorp, three minutes after Hazem Emam’s chance Zamalek came close to scoring the first goal of the match. Mohamed Ibrahim took on a couple of players and stormed into the box before crossing the ball. His cross was blocked but at the edge of the box well positioned Omar Gaber received the ball and curled a shot – but yet again the goalkeeper easily saved it.
The second half started with Zamalek determined to score and 15 minutes into the second half, the Whites found the back of the net. Mohamed Ibrahim put another wonderful cross from a corner kick which fell onto Fathallah’s head who lost his marker before scoring.
The 63rd minute saw Kabuscorp’s first and only real chance of the game. Mputu slotted a cross to Munig who headed the ball in the middle of the goal meeting Abdel-Wahed.
A vital win for Zamalek in Cairo, easing their job ahead of the second leg at Kabuscorp in Angola next Saturday.