Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Al Ahly 1-0 Young Africans (4-3 penalties): Red Devils through to Round of 16
After being handed a first leg away defeat at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium, reigning champions Al Ahly managed to qualify for the Round of 16 of the CAF Champions League courtesy of a penalty shoot-out.
Abdullah El-Said could’ve made it 1-0 in the opening 10 minutes but his free-kick went over the bar.
A three-way move between Abdullah El-Said, Mohamed Nagy Gedo, and Amr Gamal resulted in the latter going one-on-one with goalkeeper Deogratius Munishsi ‘Dida’ but the Yanga goalkeeper dealt with it well.
In the second half, the African Champions were much more offensive, but it was Yanga who had a golden chance through Emmanuel Okwi whose finish went inches wide of the post.
The Red Devils responded with a chance of their own when Dida denied Saad Samir from point-blank range.
Al Ahly soon got their goal through Sayed Moawad who volleyed past Dida from the left-hand side.
The Red Castle continued their attacking onslaught, this time Abdullah El-Said’s volley went wide of the post.
El Sayed Hamdy then had a chance of his own to make it 2-0, but his header went over the bar.
Once again the Red Devils were at the centre of trouble when Gedo’s header was saved by Dida.
Yanga had the chance to seal the tie late on when Franko Domayo’s shot went over the bar.
Gedo was once again at the centre of things when his side-footed shot went inches wide of the post.
With full time ending 1-0, an aggregate score of 1-1 the game headed to penalties.
At five penalties each the score was 3-3 to send the game to sudden death.
Mbuyu Twite missed his penalty after Mohamed Naguib scored to send Al Ahly through to the Round of 16.