Egypt international Sam Morsy has signed a new two-and-a-half-year contract at the DW...
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
Red Devils avoid Clásico overlap as match with Al Ahly Benghazi brought forward
Al Ahly were informed by Libyan Ahly Benghazi officials that the match between the two teams in the round of 16 of the African Champions League will be held on the 21st of March instead of the 23rd.
African champions Al Ahly’s match in the CAF Champions League with Libyan giants Al Ahly (Benghazi) has been brought forward from the 23rd of March to the 21st due to schedule conflicts with the Tunisian Ligue 1, while being played earlier in the day to avoid missing El-Clásico.
“The match will be played in Tunisia on Stade Chedli Zouiten at 2 pm in order to avoid the time of the Spanish Clásico between Real Madrid and Barcelona on the same day,” Said Sayed Abdel-Hafiz, Al Ahly’s football director.
Tunisian security refused to allow the match to be played on the 23rd of March because Tunisian league matches are played on the same day.
Libyan clubs matches are played in Tunisia due to the insecurity and state of turmoil the country is facing after the Libyan revolution.
“We started collecting videos with Ahly Benghazi’s matches to study them and know their strengths and weakness before the match,” Added Abdel-Hafiz.
The Ahly director also said that the Cairo giants will be travelling to Tunisia on the 20th or 21st of March to get ready for the match, the exact date will be according to booking flight tickets.
Al Ahly had qualified to the CAF Champions League round of 16 with difficulty after beating Tanzanian side Young Africans on penalties while Al Ahly Benigazi qualified after overcoming Ghana’s Chelsea F.C.