The draws for Egyptian sides Al Ahly and Zamalek in CAF Champions...
- Al Ahly, Zamalek opponents in CAFCL group stages revealed
- Smouha in Group C as CAFCC draw announced
- Dodo El-Gabbas scores and assists in Lierse win over Union SG
- Ramadan Sobhi reveals effect of AFCON on Stoke career
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
Essam Abdel-Fattah: Egyptian officials for Cairo derby
Essam Abdel-Fattah, Egyptian FA’s member and the president of the referees committee, revealed to Al-Ahram sports section today that if Al Ahly and Zamalek qualify to the last stage of the Egyptian Premier league, their game will be officiated by Egyptian referees instead of foreign ones, who have been officiating the Cairo derby since 1955.
Abdel-Fattah justified his decision by stressing on the massive improvement in the performance of the Egyptian referees in the current campaign of the league.
He added: “All we need is the support of the two Cairo giants [for the decision], and the media’s support too.”
Further on, Abdel-Fattah revealed his disappointment in the excessive red cards the managers receive during the games, however, he said that 5 red cards in 108 games is a very little ratio, and that the committee is looking to upgrade the suspension system.
Moreover, he said that a new sub-committee has been appointed to discuss both the positives and the negatives of every game with the referees right after the game.
Finally, Abdel-Fattah revealed that the refereeing committee delegates have been given a pay rise and that they’re closely monitored in order to make sure the referees performances are becoming better in order to help the development of Egyptian football.