Al Masry have renewed Hossam Hassan’s contract as he continues to manage...
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
- Hani Zada: Zamalek have a good record against Arab teams
- Hossam El-Badry: Club World Cup return is our aim
- Al Ahly, Zamalek opponents in CAFCL group stages revealed
- Smouha in Group C as CAFCC draw announced
El-Nenny’s Basel advance to Europa League quarters with win at Salzburg
Egypt international Mohamed El-Nenny reaches the Europa League quarter-finals for the second consecutive season with FC Basel after the Swiss champions pulled off an unlikely victory in Austria on Thursday night.
The 0-0 draw in the first leg was the first time the Austrian outfit failed to win in 18 games since November 25 – which includes wins in both legs against Ajax in their round of 32 tie – while Basel advanced to the round of 16 with a 3-0 victory over Maccabi Tel Aviv.
With Ivorian international Serey Die – who has a bit of history with Zamalek – suspended, El-Nenny filled his place in the visitors’ starting eleven.
Basel were reduced to 10 men after just nine minutes when Czech defender Suchy tackled Salzburg forward Alan recklessly from behind.
The Swiss champions were struggling to contain the pressure and on the 22nd minute Salzburg’s captain Jonathan Soriano scored at the far post – his eighth goal in the competition – to put the hosts in front.
In 50th minute, Marco Streller scored a header from a corner kick, completely against the run of play, to give Murat Yakin’s side the advantage.
Things went from bad to worse in Salzburg as Gaston Sauro scored the second for Basel on the hour mark from another corner.
Spaniard Soriano missed a sure equalizer for the hosts 10 minutes later, and the Austrians failed to produce any real threats afterwards as Basel held on to the away win.
FC Basel join Juventus, Benfica, Porto, Valencia, Lyon, AZ and Sevilla in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.