KingFut covers the live action as Zamalek attempt to mount a historic...
- LIVE: Zamalek vs Mamelodi Sundowns – 2016 CAF Champions League final
- Mosimane: We won’t be relaxed in the final
- Eric Otogo-Castane to referee Egypt-Ghana WC qualifier
- Men’s World Squash Championship draw released
- Hull Tigers Academy prospect Ahmed Salam bags hat-trick in U18 game
- Gaber’s FC Basel battle back to draw against Lugano
- Zamalek manager says back-up keeper Gennesh to start against Sundowns
- Hamoudi: The players did what they had to do, no one held back
- Mido gives outrageous vow if Zamalek win CAF Champions League
- Zamalek’s Ibrahim Salah believes nothing is impossible ahead of final showdown
El-Nenny’s Basel advance to Europa League quarters with win at Salzburg
Egypt international Mohamed El-Nenny reaches the Europa League quarter-finals for the second consecutive season with FC Basel after the Swiss champions pulled off an unlikely victory in Austria on Thursday night.
The 0-0 draw in the first leg was the first time the Austrian outfit failed to win in 18 games since November 25 – which includes wins in both legs against Ajax in their round of 32 tie – while Basel advanced to the round of 16 with a 3-0 victory over Maccabi Tel Aviv.
With Ivorian international Serey Die – who has a bit of history with Zamalek – suspended, El-Nenny filled his place in the visitors’ starting eleven.
Basel were reduced to 10 men after just nine minutes when Czech defender Suchy tackled Salzburg forward Alan recklessly from behind.
The Swiss champions were struggling to contain the pressure and on the 22nd minute Salzburg’s captain Jonathan Soriano scored at the far post – his eighth goal in the competition – to put the hosts in front.
In 50th minute, Marco Streller scored a header from a corner kick, completely against the run of play, to give Murat Yakin’s side the advantage.
Things went from bad to worse in Salzburg as Gaston Sauro scored the second for Basel on the hour mark from another corner.
Spaniard Soriano missed a sure equalizer for the hosts 10 minutes later, and the Austrians failed to produce any real threats afterwards as Basel held on to the away win.
FC Basel join Juventus, Benfica, Porto, Valencia, Lyon, AZ and Sevilla in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.