Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Zambia’s Nkana FC hold Zamalek to a scoreless draw in Champions League
Zambian outfit Nkana FC held Zamalek to a scoreless draw in the first leg of the round of 16 of their African Champions League campaign on Saturday.
Zamalek XI: Abdelwahed, Tolba, Yasser, Fathallah, Abdel-Shafy, Nour, Tawfik, Mo’men, Ibrahim, Arafa, Ga’afar
Nkana FC XI: Mweemba, Chishimba, Malama, Mwanza, Munthali, Kalume, Bwalya, Musonda, Musakanya, Bwalya, Kampamba
Both sides had periods of sustained pressure and a number of chances to open their account in the tie but were wasteful in front of goal at the Nkana Stadium in Wusakili, Zambia.
Zamalek take the result back to Cairo in hopes that a strong home display will be enough to see them advance to the quarterfinal stage.
Nkana FC have been eliminated by the The White Knights in the CAF Champions League three times in previous years, going on to win the competition twice in 1984 and most recently in 2002.
Zamalek head coach Ahmed “Mido” Hossam and managing director Hamada Anwar were frustrated before the match due to a lack of match videos in order to prepare for Saturday’s game.
“The Egyptian ambassador in Zambia told me the Zambian sports minister had ordered all authorities not to give us any videos of Nkana,” Anwar told Zamalek’s official website.
“We know nothing about Nkana FC except what we learned from videos released by the Egyptian ambassador here in Zambia,” Mido added.
Zamalek will play host to their Zambian opponents in the second leg on Sunday, March 30th with an early lunchtime kick-off.