Ghana forward Andre Ayew has revealed that the Black Stars will use...
- Ghana to use Egypt game as rehearsal for quarterfinals, says Andre Ayew
- Elneny: I want to become an Arsenal legend
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly sign Kilmarnock striker Souleymane Coulibaly
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
Al Ahly get Morocco’s Difaa in 2014 CAF Confederation Cup play-off draw
The 2014 CAF Confederation Cup play-off draw, which took place in CAF’s headquarters in Cairo on Tuesday, has revealed that Egypt’s only representative Al Ahly will face Difaa Hassani El Jadidi of Morocco.
Al Ahly entered the Confederation Cup draw after being eliminated from the CAF Champions League after two consecutive defeats by Tarek El-Ashry’s Ahli Benghazi, losing 4-2 on aggregate.
Mohamed Youssef’s side will host the 1st leg of the play-off round of the CAF Confederation Cup on April 18/19/20 and the 2nd Leg will be played in Morocco on April 25/26/27.
Given that Al Ahly wins the tie with Morocco’s Difaa on aggregate, they will advance directly to the CAF Confederation Cup group stages.
Never have an Egyptian team won the Confederation Cup, which should motivate the African Champions to try and add the title to their 19 international trophies – currently a world record.
The 11th edition of the Orange CAF Confederation Cup draw:
Al Ahly (Egypt) vs Difaa Hassani Jadida (Morocco)
AS Real (Mali) vs Djoliba (Mali)
AC Léopards (Congo) vs Medeama (Ghana)
Kaizer Chiefs (South Africa) vs ASEC Mimosas (Cote d’Ivoire)
Coton Sport (Cameroon) vs Petro Atletico (Angola)
Horoya (Guinea) vs Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
Sewe Sport (Cote d’Ivoire) vs Bayelsa (Nigeria)
Nkana (Zambia) vs Club Athletique Bizertin (Tunisia)
Hany Rashad, Al Ahly’s administration manager commented then on the draw saying: “It’s a good draw and now that we are out of Champions League we have turned our full focus on CAF Confederation Cup.”
“We have a tough match against Difaa Hassani Jadida of Morocco. Some of the positives of this pairing are that we face a fellow North African team and this can be motivating in itself because of the regional rivalry.
“No Egyptian side has ever won the CAF Confederation Cup since the new format and we want to be the first to do that,” he concluded.