Ghana’s Samuel Afum scored his first official goal since signing for Wadi...
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
El-Nenny features as Basel triumph 3-0 over Valencia in Europa League quarter-finals
El-Nenny comes on from the bench as Basel triumph over Valencia in the first leg of their quarter-final Europa League match up.
Egypt international Mohamed El-Nenny started the game on the bench as Basel coach Murat Yakin opted for a more offensive approach in the first half.
Ten minutes into the game, David Degen went down in the box but the referee motioned for the play to go on. The first booking of the night went to Ivorian Serey Die for a reckless sliding tackle two minutes later.
The first real opportunity of the night came when Diaz tried to put the ball in from 20 yards out. Basel continued to shoot from distance as Schar’s low drive went inches wide of the right post.
The opener came after 30 minutes when David Degen’s pass found Argentine Delgado unmarked near the edge of the box whose shot went straight into the back of the net.
Less than 10 minutes later, Delgado doubled Basel’s lead over the Spanish side as he latched onto Stocker’s cross from close range.
FC Basel coach made his side’s first substitution as Fabian Frei replaced David Degen after half-time. The visitors started the second half looking lively and pushing for their first goal of the night.
The Spaniards came close on several occasions, one of the most notable being Vargas’ shot that Yan Sommer was barely able to keep out of the net.
El-Nenny came on in the 58th minute to replace injured goalscorer Matias Delgado, who put in a MOTM worthy performance.
Basel youth product Embolo came on with 20 minutes to play replacing Fabian Schar. Shortly after coming on, Embolo was booked as he gifted Valencia a free-kick less than a yard outside of the box. However, the visitors failed yet again to score as the shot was easily saved by Sommer.
With Valencia desperately looking for a goal, Basel proved once again how deadly they are on the counter as they stung the visitors through Stocker. The winger went one-on-one with the keeper and lobbed the ball into the back of the net.
Basel’s home 3-0 win over Valencia could very well carry them through to the semi-finals of the Europa League for the second consecutive season.