Braga suffered a 3-2 defeat in a thrilling game against third-placed Sporting...
- Dost nets hat-trick in Sporting’s 3-2 win over Braga
- VIDEO: Al Ahly’s winning streak ends with draw against Entag
- Elneny left out of Arsenal’s squad as Gunners lose to Tottenham
- VIDEO: Warda scores in PAOK’s 5-1 win against Kerkyra
- Salah features as Roma lose Derby della Capitale
- EFA fines Inacio and Mido
- Inacio: I am eager to win titles with Zamalek
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
Al Ahly top Group A with hard-fought win over Arab Contractors
Al Ahly overcame Arab Contractors on Tuesday night courtesy of a lone goal from Rami Rabia in the dying minutes of the game.
The Red Devils fully made use of Smouha’s 2-0 loss on Monday against Entag Al Harby, jumping to top of Group A once again.
Mohamed Youssef was forced to field a side lacking in key players such as Amr Gamal and Mahmoud Trezeguet, but nevertheless, the Red Devils managed to claim a valuable 1-0 win.
Al Ahly’s starting XI: Sherif Ekramy – Ahmed Fathi – Mohamed Nagiub – Saad El-Din Samir – Ahmed Shedid Kenawy – Hossam Ashour – Rami Rabia – Ahmed Nabil ‘Manga’ – Abdallah El-Said – Moussa Yedan – Ahmed Raouf.
Arab Contractors’ starting XI: Hassan Shaheen – Tigana Shamselden – Mahmoud Ezzat – Bassem Ali – Ali Fathi – Mohamed Sosta – Mohamed Adel – Mohamed Khalaf – Mohamed Farouk – Mohamed Fadl – Mohamed Rizk.
The game was cagey at the start of the first half with few chances threatening Mohamed Shahin and Sherif Ekramy respectively.
Moussa Yedan, who has cemented his place in the Red Devils’ line-up was fairly active on the left-hand side but his crosses were kept out really well by Mohamed Radwan’s men.
In the 33rd minute, Manga was fouled after receiving a good pass from Abdallah El-Said while Al Ahly were on the counter, the resulting free-kick from Abdallah El-Said however, went well over the bar.
At the end of the half, Arab Contractors had the chance to go ahead when a free-kick was awarded to them from a dangerous area.
The resulting free-kick from Ali Fathi was struck really well, but Sherif Ekramy got a hand to it to take it out for a corner.
Ahmed Raouf was unlucky not to put the Red Castle ahead in 69th minute when his header hit the post, and his header on the rebound went inches wide of the post.
In the 83rd minute, Raouf missed a great chance; one-on-one with Shaheen, the former ENPPI man parried his finish wide.
Three minutes before full time, Rami Rabia scored a peach of a goal after some great link-up play between the former U-20 international and El-Sayed Hamdy.
The Mountain Wolves had the chance to equalise late on through a free-kick, but Ali Fathi’s free-kick went over the bar.