Egypt giants Al Ahly have announced the date for their encounter with Zambian...
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
Mourinho: Salah has potential to be a very exciting player
The speedy winger started the game for Chelsea and made it through the full 90 minutes for the second week in a row in the league, giving Chelsea an edge over their Welsh counterparts, proving to be a thorn in the side every time he was on the ball.
Despite wasting several chances which could’ve put Chelsea up earlier on, Salah was named as Man of the Match by many performance-rating websutes such as WhoScored.com and Squawka.com for the second league game in a row, helping Chelsea to a 1-0 win.
“I think he has the potential to be a very exciting player,” Mourinho told Chelsea’s official magazine.
“He has come from a different situation to most of the squad, because he was playing in Switzerland before he came here, and in Egypt before that, so he has to adapt to his surroundings here.
“He has incredible pace and he is comfortable receiving the ball in space, like a traditional winger, so he offers us another way to beat the defence.’
Many seem to have thought that Salah was bought by Chelsea to occupy Mata’s place on the bench, but that’s not the case according to Mourinho.
“Every player has to work for the team, both with and without the ball. All of our players contribute defensively and for the attacking midfielders there is a big responsibility to press the opposition when they have possession in their own half,” he said.
“It is extremely important to try to win the ball as high up the pitch as possible because, when you do this, your opponent is usually less prepared for the counter-attack.
“Usually, when you win the ball back close to their goal, the opposition defenders are not positioned to deal with a quick attack, so you have a good chance to find space, to exploit it and, hopefully, to score,” Mourinho concluded.
Chelsea face Sunderland on the 19th of April hoping to close the gap between them and Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table.