Al Ahly manager Hossam El-Badry has announced his 22-man squad to face...
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
- Elmohamady’s Hull slump to disappointing loss against Middlesbrough
El-Nenny’s Basel lose in Swiss Cup final
The game could be described as a battle as there was a total of seven yellow cards, a direct red card and two sending offs in a matter of 120 minutes – El-Nenny received a yellow in the 62nd minute.
The first 90 minutes of the night were goalless as both teams went into extra time without scoring. However, FC Basel finished the 90 minutes at a disadvantage as Gaston Sauro received a direct red card in the 66th minute.
Nine minutes into extra time, FC Basel became at a further disadvantage as Giovanni Sio received his second booking of the night and was subsequently sent off.
It only took FC Zurich one minute to capitalize on their two man advantage, Marco Gavranovic put them ahead in the 100th minute before Gavranovic found the back of the net yet again a few minutes later to seal the cup win for Zurich.
FC Zurich successfully avenged their 4-2 loss in the league only a week prior to this game to take the silverware home. Nonetheless, FC Basel’s last league win could prove more important as the holding champions are now topping the table with four points above second-placed Grasshoppers – with only six rounds remaining.