Al Ahly manager Martin Jol has decided on his starting XI to...
- Al Ahly starting XI vs Wydad Casablanca
- Zamalek XI vs Mamelodi Sundowns
- OFFICIAL: El-Sayed Hamdy joins Al Masry
- Hughes: Sobhi will probably meet us after Orlando camp
- Martin Jol: Ramadan Sobhi could play for Manchester United
- Elmohamady features in Hull City’s 2-2 draw with Barnsley
- Al Ahly settle dispute with Nigerian Peter Ebimobowei
- Infantino proposes extra African spots in expanded World Cup
- Koffi files FIFA complaint against Zamalek
- Former Tottenham striker Mido: Sobhi is ready for Stoke challenge
Pharaohs to face Jamaica in London friendly
Egypt will take on Jamaica in a June 4 friendly in London, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) announced on Friday.
The Pharaohs are scheduled to take on Chile in another London friendly five days prior. That May 30 contest was previously slated for Santiago, but today the EFA confirmed the London venue. The team will return to Cairo on June 6.
The EFA will receive nearly LE 1 million for each match (about $140,000).
Egypt boss Shawky Gharib chose Jamaica over several other friendly offers, including those from Belgium, Colombia, and Russia, all of whom are World Cup-bound. Gharib cited the absence of key players with Ahly and Zamalek as the reason he opted to face the Reggae Boyz instead. The Cairo giants will be engaged in official African competitions around the same time as Egypt’s friendly matches
Egypt is preparing for the start of 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, which kicks off in September.
Jamaica’s next international commitment is the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Egypt’s last match at any level against Jamaica was at the 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship in Argentina. The two battled to a scoreless draw to open the group phase, with Egypt squandering a penalty kick in a match it dominated.