Hany Zada, a member of the Zamalek board, spoke to ON Sport...
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
- INTERVIEW: World squash number 4 Karim Abdel Gawad talks to KingFut
- Meteb excluded from Al Ahly squad against Petrojet
- Cúper recruits 10 international players for qualifier against Ghana
VIDEO: Al Hilal edge TP Mazembe in Khartoum
Group A of the CAF Champions League kicked off with a much anticipated tie between Al Hilal Omdurman and TP Mazembe in Khartoum which saw Al Hilal edge the Congolese side 1-0 with a Salah Ibrahim “Al Jizoli” header in the 50th minute of the game.
Al Hilal: Genaro; Cisse; Ather Thomas; Saeed; O.Bakhiet (C), Nasr El Din; Nazar Hamid, Bashir, Bakri; Salah Ibrahim.
TP Mazembe: Kidiaba ;Frimpong, Kimwaki, Coulibaly, Kasusula (C); Diarra, Adjei, Akwako, Asante, Kalaba; Samatta.
An electrifying Khartoum Stadium today hosted the first game of the CAF CL group stage 2014 which saw Al Hilal host TP Mazembe.
First half started at a very high tempo as both teams went for it from the start with Al Hilal edging it on the possession. The first real chance came from Saif Masawi from an Abdullatif Saeed corner but Kidiaba saved well.
TP Mazembe responded quickly with a ferocious long range effort by Rainford Kalaba that went just wide of Jumaa Genaros post. Other than that, both keepers were comfortable throughout the rest of the first half.
In the second half, Al Hilal started well and managed to go 1-0 up through Salah Ibrahim “Al Jizoli” in the 50th minute of game after Bakri Madina latched onto a Omar Bakhiet through ball and crossed to find Al Jizoli unmarked as he headed home and Khartoum erupted. Al Hilal were in the ascendency.
TP Mazembe tried to come back into the game but Al Hilal defended resilliently and managed to see out the result.
The second game in this group sees Zamalek travel to Kinshasa to face AS Vita Club on Sunday. Next Saturday Al Hilal will travel to Cairo to face Zamalek in gameweek 2 in a hotly contested all-arab tie.
Watch Al Jizoli’s goal