Ghana coach Avram Grant spoke about his team’s next game in the...
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
VIDEO: Al Hilal edge TP Mazembe in Khartoum
Group A of the CAF Champions League kicked off with a much anticipated tie between Al Hilal Omdurman and TP Mazembe in Khartoum which saw Al Hilal edge the Congolese side 1-0 with a Salah Ibrahim “Al Jizoli” header in the 50th minute of the game.
Al Hilal: Genaro; Cisse; Ather Thomas; Saeed; O.Bakhiet (C), Nasr El Din; Nazar Hamid, Bashir, Bakri; Salah Ibrahim.
TP Mazembe: Kidiaba ;Frimpong, Kimwaki, Coulibaly, Kasusula (C); Diarra, Adjei, Akwako, Asante, Kalaba; Samatta.
An electrifying Khartoum Stadium today hosted the first game of the CAF CL group stage 2014 which saw Al Hilal host TP Mazembe.
First half started at a very high tempo as both teams went for it from the start with Al Hilal edging it on the possession. The first real chance came from Saif Masawi from an Abdullatif Saeed corner but Kidiaba saved well.
TP Mazembe responded quickly with a ferocious long range effort by Rainford Kalaba that went just wide of Jumaa Genaros post. Other than that, both keepers were comfortable throughout the rest of the first half.
In the second half, Al Hilal started well and managed to go 1-0 up through Salah Ibrahim “Al Jizoli” in the 50th minute of game after Bakri Madina latched onto a Omar Bakhiet through ball and crossed to find Al Jizoli unmarked as he headed home and Khartoum erupted. Al Hilal were in the ascendency.
TP Mazembe tried to come back into the game but Al Hilal defended resilliently and managed to see out the result.
The second game in this group sees Zamalek travel to Kinshasa to face AS Vita Club on Sunday. Next Saturday Al Hilal will travel to Cairo to face Zamalek in gameweek 2 in a hotly contested all-arab tie.
Watch Al Jizoli’s goal