- VIDEO: Zakaria strikes again as Zamalek down Hossam Hassan’s Ittihad in Alexandria
- Six Pharaohs Abroad called up for final 2015 AFCON qualifiers, Gomaa excluded
- Al Ahly fine Hossam Ghaly 150,000 EGP for substitution refusal
- Emad Meteb handed suspended jail sentence
- Exclusive: Rami Rabia to join Olympic national team camp
- Marítimo sign young Egyptian Mohamed Mohsen
- VIDEO: Tala’a El-Gaish striker Arafa El-Sayed hits second consecutive hat-trick in Maqassa win
- Mourinho disappointed by Salah’s performance among others in Chelsea win
- Al Masry lose recently-signed Nigerian striker Minusu Buba to ACL injury
- VIDEO: Salah assists to help Chelsea through to League Cup quarters
Hegazy returns in dramatic Serie A finale with Fiorentina
Torino missed the chance to play in Europe as the final matchday in Serie A saw Ahmed Hegazy return from extensive injury layoffs to participate in his club’s 2-2 draw.
It was an exciting end of the season in Serie A as three teams were vying for a place in the Europa League.
Torino needed to win in La Viola‘s backyard to secure automatic qualification to the Europa League, but the match ended in a dramatic draw.
Giuseppe Rossi scored first for the home team from the penalty spot in the 56th minute as Fiorentina looked to take control of the game, but Torino’s Marcelo Larrondo went on to equalize just over 10 minutes later.
Rebic scored Viola’s second in the 79th minute, but Torino again went on to level the score through Kurtic – after Hegazy’s mistimed tackle saw Italy international Alessio Cerci advance into a dangerous area before providing the assist.
Cerci had the chance to secure Torino’s place in the Europa League next season through a penalty that Hegazy’s partner Roncaglia conceded as he tackled an opposition player inside the box. However, the Italian winger missed his spot kick shot as it was parried by the Fiorentina goalkeeper.
Ahmed Hegazy showed a calm performance for a man who just returned from two consecutive ACL tears. His lack of match fitness may have shown, but despite that he almost had a scoring opportunity forcing a save from a Torino defender.
Fiorentina ended the season runners-up to Napoli in the Coppa Italia final and 4th in the Serie A and are to represent Italy in next season’s Europa League.