The Egypt U-20 National Team drew their second game at AFCON after...
- Egypt U-20 National Team draw second game in a row at AFCON
- Ghana: World Cup hopes destroyed with Grant
- CAF to honor former Al Ahly chairman Hassan Hamdy
- EXCLUSIVE: Sam Morsy called up to Egypt squad
- Egypt court sentences 4 Ultras Ahlawy members to 15 years in prison
- Elneny speaks about his first Arsenal start against Spurs
- Stoke chairman excuses Ramadan from criticism after Spurs defeat
- Mohamed Ashraf scores as El-Gaish down Al Masry
- Hamoudi included in Al Ahly squad against Dakhleya
- Elmohamady: It’s going to be difficult at Leicester
EFA decide against cancelling relegation, old league format restored
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) have decided that next season’s league will be played in one group as opposed to two like the current version with relegation taking place as normal starting this season.
Since the Port Said disaster in 2012, the last two editions of the league have been played in two groups to avoid games between Al Ahly and Al Masry with relegation not taking place since the 2010/11 season.
The EFA have officially declared that relegation will take place this season, thus meaning that next season’s Egyptian Premier League will consist of 20 sides all in one group.
This decision has come as a response to the earlier recommendation made by the Club Committee to cancel relegation, however the EFA decided to go against the recommendation and have decided against cancelling relegation.
It is also worth mentioning that this decision means that the Egyptian Premier League will return to the old format which was last implemented in the 2011/2012 season.