Wadi Degla coach, Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, took a throw back on his...
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
EFA decide against cancelling relegation, old league format restored
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) have decided that next season’s league will be played in one group as opposed to two like the current version with relegation taking place as normal starting this season.
Since the Port Said disaster in 2012, the last two editions of the league have been played in two groups to avoid games between Al Ahly and Al Masry with relegation not taking place since the 2010/11 season.
The EFA have officially declared that relegation will take place this season, thus meaning that next season’s Egyptian Premier League will consist of 20 sides all in one group.
This decision has come as a response to the earlier recommendation made by the Club Committee to cancel relegation, however the EFA decided to go against the recommendation and have decided against cancelling relegation.
It is also worth mentioning that this decision means that the Egyptian Premier League will return to the old format which was last implemented in the 2011/2012 season.